How do I know if a book is a novel?

Just curious. I recently taken the interest of novels. I have several old books in my garage but I don't if it is a novel.

Bleh. . . I mostly have Lord of the rings and crap . Those books are too huge for me to read x.x

Favorite Answer

A novel is a book of long narrative in literary prose, it is a book-length work of fiction. Just being fictional and bound isn't enough -- collections of short stories, novellas, and other fictional texts can be bound, but they don't thereby become a novel.

A book, by contrast, is a volume of fictional or non-fictional work. Although these are often bound, again, binding isn't essential. For example, books can be electronic with scanned images. The lack of binding doesn't mean that it isn't a book. Additionally, a book -- in common usage -- tends to have a copyright and be the product of a publisher.

In short, a novel is usually a book, but a book isn't necessarily a novel. The terms aren't interchangeable. Just remember that novel normally refers only to works of fiction. If the book isn't fiction, it isn't a novel. (There is a subgenre of nonfiction sometimes called a "nonfictional novel").

○ A novel is a fictitious story in a book.

○ A book is a printed (or written) work consisting of pages fixed together, and has a cover of some sort.

○ A dictionary is a book, an autobiography is a book, a cookery book is a book, but none of them is a novel.

~ Hope I helped ~

ﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞﬞ

A book can be any subject: medical journals bound together; automotive's 100 best cars; law review; fiction; or non-fiction are all considered books if under cover. Even blank pages bound together are consided a book (hence notebook).

A novel is characterized by being a fictitious work of considerable length, and complexity with developed characters presented in an entertaining way.

If the copy right page says fiction, then it's a novel. That's what a novel is--a fiction book.

Good luck.

Source(s): Novelist writer for six years.

A novel is a piece of fiction that has more than 50,000 words. Anything under 50,000 words is a novella (15,000 - 50,000) or a short story (below 15,000).

A novel is normally 80,000+ and it also contains a plot. A novel can be fictional or factual.

Read them anyway:D

when it's long story:)