promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Is Plushenko going to skate in the World Figure Skating championship 2011 in Moscow?

Is Plushenko, the Russian skater who received a silver medal at the Vancouver Olympics going to skate today in Moscow? Today there is the World Figure Skating championship in Moscow. Plushenko is a Russian and the event is in his country. Is he skating today?

Update:

Why not? Why is he not skating? The event is in his own country did he lose interest or perhaps retiring?

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

    No, Plushy is not skating in this year's Worlds. He stopped competing after the Olympics to take some time off to recuperate. Unfortunately, he and his coaching staff failed to file the appropriate paperwork during that break with the ISU, so, he lost his eligibility for this past season. Rules are rules and they apply to everyone, even olympians and hometown heroes.

    The fact that Worlds was moved to Russia this year at the last minute has no bearing on who can enter. The members are determined by each federation and the World team had already been selected based on the past season's results.

    Truthfully, there are some very talented Russian skaters who qualified for this Worlds because he didn't compete this year. It really opened a door to other skaters, so good did come out of his error.

    He will perform in a Moscow skating show next week, which is a benefit for the victims of the Japanese earthquake/tsunami. It has nothing to do with Worlds, however, it's a separate venture.

    Plushenko says he will return to competitive skating next season, with the goal of competing in the 2012 Olympics in Sochi, Russia.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

    Lose interest? Retire? Are you kidding me? He's keener than ever to win the gold in Sochi and he's in terrific shape.

    He is not competing at Worlds this year, through no choice of his own. An unfortunate combination of circumstances and miscommunication between himself, the Russian Figure Skating Federation, and the International Skating Union means that he is suspended for this season. He will be reinstated in June (I believe) and will contest next season and each season thereafter until the 2014 Winter Olympics at Sochi, injury and health permitting.

    EDIT: Actually, he and his management/coaching DID file the correct paperwork with the ISU and the RFSF. The RFSF told him they would approve it and take care of it, and then changed their minds. The ISU then proceeded to change THEIR minds and tell Plushenko that if he skated at the opening Kings on Ice show, he would be deemed ineligible. They told him this THREE DAYS before the show.

    Plushenko had already been sued once by tour companies and fans for pulling out when the ISU did that to him several years ago. He decided not to disappoint his fans and risk being sued again, and skated. One cannot blame him for that.

    He did not appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport because he knew it would, in the end, only make his situation worse, especially if CAS ruled that the ISU were wrong and reinstated his eligibility. A CAS appeal would have made him Enemy Number 1 to the ISU, especially if it went Plushenko's way. He decided (wisely) not to antagonise the ISU any further and not appeal, because he knew they wouldn't ban him forever.

    Source(s): figure skater (and fan)
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    From Wikipedia: June 28, 2010, the International Skating Union announced that Plushenko had lost his eligibility due to participating in skating shows without his federation's authorization. (Skaters must retain their amateur status to compete in ISU events, therefore they must follow strict guidelines in the shows they perform).

    He was given 21 days to appeal this decision to the Court of Arbitration for Sport which he did not do. As a result his loss of eligibility became final as announced by the ISU. August 23, 2010.

    In October 2010, he competed in the Japan Open 2010 as a part of the European team. Each team was allowed to have an "ineligible" member. He placed third in the men's portion.

    As a result Plushenko will not be competing at Worlds this year. He is still throwing quads in performances, indicating a high level of training and the indication he will continue skating competitively.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 9 years ago

    No he's not because he is no longer eligible to skate in ISU amateur competitions. Last year he didn't compete in Worlds Championships but he did shows at the same time , meaning he lost his eligibility.

    He is trying to reinstate himself but we'll see what the ISU says :)

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

    No he's not. There are 2 Russians I have never heard of. If you are interested go to the ISU.org site, it has all the entries.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.