Step Down Transformer for PS3 overheating help?

Hi. I bought my ps3 while i was in the US where the voltage was 120 and after i moved to Australia, its 240 (im not sure exactly). To play my ps3 here, i bought a step down transformer. Ive been using it with no problems for a long time but recently we smelt burning around the living room and found out that the... show more Hi. I bought my ps3 while i was in the US where the voltage was 120 and after i moved to Australia, its 240 (im not sure exactly). To play my ps3 here, i bought a step down transformer. Ive been using it with no problems for a long time but recently we smelt burning around the living room and found out that the transformer had heated up and the bottom was melted. I liked keeping my ps3 with the red light on, so i kept the transformer on to power it too. I never turned the transformer off, so could this be a reason that it overheated and is it advisable that i continue using it, or should i try to replace it?
Update: My ps3 is the old 40gb one. After reading up, some sources say that the older ps3s have universal power supplies? is this true?
1 answer 1