My rifles crosshairs are clear but rest is blurry?

On my rifle, my crosshairs are clear but at 100 yards I cannot see the bulls eye on my target...infact I can't make out any markings at all thru the scope. So I try to put crosshairs where I feel it should be and that gives me bad groups, is this normal for a scope?

• Bob K
    Favorite Answer

I hope the scenery is also clear at 100 yards and farther and maybe closer in to say 50 yards.

At 100 yards, the bulls eye is so small that you need a scope with some great magnification like 12 power or more to actually see the bulls eye. If you can see the place where you want to place your bullets to clear enough, you are doing great.

If however the scenery is not clear, but out of focus while viewing through scope, and you can see better with your own eyes, then you have to change the position of the front lens if it is indeed adjustable or move the rear eye piece slightly. Loosen lock ring if equipped. And turn one way or the other to see which way you get a better view.

Then do this. Point firearm and view through scope at normal eye relief distance at a blank wall or at a cloud or a patch or blue sky. Crosshairs should be in perfect focus.

If not, go see a gunsmith and have scope checked over and re adjusted. If your vision is at fault, get your vision corrected. Then use your scope.

There is an focus adjustment ring on most scopes that allow you to get BOTH the crosshairs and the target into focus.

HOWEVER, on some cheaper variable power scopes, it's a problem. I own a variable power Nikon scope and found that when the crosshairs and target are in focus at a low power, when I increase the magnification, one of the two goes out of focus - which is why I use the Nikon ProStaff scope on my Ruger 10/22 for plinking.

Better quality scopes like Leupold will hold the focus at different magnifications.

• Mac

Believe it or not, knowing the make and model of your scope makes a difference. Imagine that.

Some scopes put the reticle in the same focal place as the target. Others don't. There are advantages either way.

Some scopes are adjustable for focus, Others aren't. There are advantages either way.

I've already put more details into my answer than you did into your question.

• Mr.357

If the scope has an adjustable paralax distance, you need to change that to 100 yds or something near that. If it has a fixed paralax distance, you have a damaged scope or a cheap scope.

Maybe try tuning your magnification on top of the scope. Sometimes you have to unscrew them to turn the knob. Thats the only thing I can think of.

• Jack

Need lots more info. Make; model; new; used.

its perfectly normal