350 chevy tbi engine head removal.?

I just bought a 94 chevy 2500 with a 350 sbc tbi. As far as i know it is the original engine with 147000 miles. I am considering removing the heads to inspect the cylinders and tops of the pistons and the bottom sides of the heads to inspect if any are damaged. The reason behind this is because it uses about a... show more I just bought a 94 chevy 2500 with a 350 sbc tbi. As far as i know it is the original engine with 147000 miles. I am considering removing the heads to inspect the cylinders and tops of the pistons and the bottom sides of the heads to inspect if any are damaged. The reason behind this is because it uses about a quart of oil every 1000 miles and I was wondering if it would be worth it more just to rebuild the whole engine or try to find out if they are just worn cylinders or pistons smacking the heads causing damage or something. Is it worth it? I am sort of mechanically inclined towards mostly diesel engines as I work at a Freightliner truck and engine shop and do not know much about gasoline engines and their distributors and timing etc... Please let me know what you think. Thanks
Update: Forgot to mention that of my heads or valve covers has an oil leak as well. Haven't identified which yet, a closer look will reveal. So it probably has to be torn down that far anyways. It is not very much of a leak but it is there. Never do I come out to go somewhere to see a puddle of oil under the truck which... show more Forgot to mention that of my heads or valve covers has an oil leak as well. Haven't identified which yet, a closer look will reveal. So it probably has to be torn down that far anyways. It is not very much of a leak but it is there. Never do I come out to go somewhere to see a puddle of oil under the truck which im grateful for. Thanks for all of your help!