Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

mini dude asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

Can Males be carriers for Hitchiker condition?

explain???

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Good for you, be proud of that John Doe... Males can't be carriers for anything. Carrier is a term that describes the case where a female has an affected X chromosome and a normal X chromosome. Since males only have one X and one Y, and most sex-linked traits are carried on the X, a male can't be a carrier. They either have it or they don't. Now after your biology lesson for the day, yes, males can carry the allele for that gene. The gene is hitchhiker's thumb and the allele is pretty much whether they have it or not. Hitchhiker's thumb is dominant, meaning it masks the the presence of the recessive allele, no hitchhiker's thumb. Assuming the trait is represented by the letter "H" or "h" (H if dominant, h if recessive), a person with hitchhiker's thumb can either have the genotype Hh (heterozygous) or HH (homozygous dominant). A genotype is a set usually comprised of letters that illustrates a person's alleles, whether they have a trait or not. Because this condition is dominant which reigns supreme over recessive, any case where a capital H is present means that the person is affected by the trait. I hope it's not too confusing, you'll learn about it some time. Gender has nothing to do with this trait though because it is an autosomal trait, it is expressed on the chromosomes 1-22 and not the sex chromosomes X and Y.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Its called hitchiker finger and its where the top part of your thumb can bend back farther than other peoples can because of a double joint i have one that i can dislocate my thumb and bend it back and touch the middle of my forearm

• 1 decade ago

duh... double joints happen in anyone

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.