Looking to move to Boston, affordable places to live for a college graduate?

I'm looking to move to Boston within the next year. I have been there multiple times and know the surrounding areas and T pretty well. I'm about to graduate college and want to move up there within the next year.

I will be working full time and was wondering what are the most affordable and safe areas? Even in surrounding areas like Quincy would be good too.

Thanks!!

Favorite Answer

Boston is pretty expensive if your live in any descent area.

But if compare and choose by your criteria - reasonable priced within Greater Boston Area with T and good access to everywhere and safe would be: Arlington, Medford, Woburn, Waltham. As you see it is area north of Boston. Honestly - south is not the same in term of T and access and it is very mix (good areas and bad areas) with most bad areas in Boston located South. So if you dont know the area - staying north better bet.

Cambridge is pretty expensive BTW - most towns I mentioned right next to Cambridge anyway.

Check out Somerville, like the Porter Square area, right near Harvard Square and on the T

look for a place on the cambridge side of somerville. cool, tons of bars/restaurants, close to the T, and not sketchy. a little more money is cambridge but even better. brighton and allston is decent but way more cityish and trashy and more college-y. the burbs of waltham, watertown, newton are good too but a bit further from the city.

braintree, quincy, kenmore/fenway neighborhood in boston

Source(s): I live in Boston