Pros & Cons of Being Biracial?

My mom is African-American, my dad is white. What are the pros & cons of being biracial, half-black, half-white?

edit: @ Indycar, yeah I guess I should...but my folks are divorced :( my mom remarried a black guy & my dad lives in Virginia (I live in Florida)

Favorite Answer

I am black/white biracial (white Jewish father/Black mother) so I think I'm somewhat qualified to answer this question.

PROS:

Often B/W mixed race people are exposed to a lot of racism from BOTH sides. And this can actually turn out to be a valuable learning experience. It can put them wise to the realities of this world at an earlier age than perhaps most.

Cons:

RACIST ANTI-BLACK SENTIMENTS...

Many biracials are encouraged to be racist. Some are exposed to racism at an early age (family). And biracials have to be careful not to become pawns or "cannon fodder" in racial tug of wars between whites and blacks. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7W0lIZgSCGw

Youtube thumbnail

VANITY...

Unfortunately, some b/w biracials are stupidly vain about their looks, thinking that they're the only ones...the only group to possess what they may think of as a unique beauty. But in my opinion, some of them think too much about outward appearances. They focus on it too much and are often encouraged to dwell on this by again, family, from an early age.

Pros

Lots of mixed people are very pretty or handsome. You get to be part of more than one culture, which makes you more open minded. You may pick up another language because of your family which is awesome. : )

Cons

Some people will make you choose one race over the other...

You may feel like you're left out (or not completely included)

Some racist pigs that think there is something wrong with being mixed might make some stupid comments..

well i'm not half black and half white.

I'm multiracial.

Pro: Good looks. Being exposed to different cultures. Which I know, can make a person more well rounded.

Cons: People expect you to pick one race over the other. Especially when you fill out applications, and they ask you to "check the box of your race".

There are rarely ever an "other" or "mixed" box

There are pros and cons to being human. If you're thinking there are cons to being bi-racial in particular, then it's because you're making it out to be that way. There's nothing inherently wrong with being bi-racial. If you were y?te I'd have to say something different. Are you y?te?

i consider one of my relative black and he isn't half white. asians sees him as black

I'm mixed, Black*White and I think this question is stupid.

I don't know.