Why not tax the rich and the corporations who are hoarding all the wealth?
If we just taxed the evil, greedy corporations that are hoard all of OUR MONEY, this whole deficit problem would just go away and we could have all of our government 'entitlements', right?
"Tax those evil corporations!” you say? - If you flat out confiscated 100% of the 2010 profits of ALL of the Fortune 500 corporations you would only have enough $34B - just enough to run the government behemoth for about 5 and a half weeks.
If you also confiscated:
- ALL of the money ever spent on those outrageously expensive Super Bowl ads - $250M
- Every penny earned by all of those multi-millionaire athletes in the NFL, NBA, PGA, NHL, NASCAR - all of it - $9.4B
- Forget about taxing the rich; I say, LETS EAT THE RICH! Don't just raise their taxes but take every last penny from every last American who earned more than $250K - take every penny! - $1.42T
- Grab every thin dime earned by the Star Wars movies, box office take, toys, and figures, ALL of it. - $25B
- Still blaming "Bush's wars" for the deficit? OK, stop the wars and grab ALL of that money too. - $264B
- Evict all the wealthy Hollywood glitterati, fancy pants movie stars from their mansions and sell them; 15,000 mansions at an average $2M each - $30B
- I got it! What if every single billionaire in the country (400 of them - including Buffet, Gates and Zuckerburg) had an "unfortunate accident" and we got 50% of their massive fortunes (which they probably stole anyways) in estate taxes? - $650B
- Aw screw it! Just kill ALL of the billionaires and take ALL of their money and the next 100 or so nearly-billionaires too! - $740B
- Cut out ALL foreign aid, especially those evil Israelis (who, as we all know wouldn't survive without the US hurling mountains of money at them). - $50B
OK, so you have completely taxed away all of the profits of the Fortune 500, professional sports millionaires, the Hollywood movie stars, ALL of the wicked, evil, greedy rich ɓąstards (that Michael Moore claims are hoarding the wealth), ended all foreign aid, surrendered both wars - and we're still short. Every American man woman and child will have to chip in just $40 (but that's HUGE tax increase on the 47% of earners who now pay NOTHING) - and congratulations! You've paid the U.S. budget FOR ONE YEAR!
But you've also liquidated and destroyed the nation to do it. And you have even touched the national debt of $14.3 trillion, you would have to repeat all of the above four more times, but of course you can’t do that because the nation is now a third world wasteland.
OK, so if we've proven that we can't tax our way out of this, can we all agree that we must DRASTICALLY cut spending - or are we still stuck on stooopid?
Thanks to the brilliant Iowahawk for this eye opening research (http://iowahawk.typepad.com/).
- 9 years agoFavorite Answer
Tryin to get liberals to THINK....or get them to understand common sense, or facts & figures is a complete waste of time....its all about FEEEELINGS and good intentions....no matter how badly it turns out.
- Anonymous9 years ago
Why not just end the entire argument of who to tax, how much to tax them. Lets just institute a flat tax. You buy a candy bar, you pay the same rate as the billionaire who buys a yacht. A billionaire buys a 30,000 sq. ft. home, he pays the same rate as the young couple who buys their first 1400 sq. ft. home. A flat tax would go a long way to ending this class envy that Americans suffer from. Trump builds a new building, he pays the same tax rate on the concrete as the guy who pours a new sidewalk in front of his bungalow. Lets even the playing field here a little bit folks!
- gosam777Lv 79 years ago
U.S. Corporate tax is already at 35% (plus an additional 10% in some states), the highest in the industrialized world. However it is passed back on in prices for goods and services, which you ultimately pay.
- JoeLv 59 years ago
If people would go to work & work for a living. That is not going to apply for welfare or government handouts. Why do people that do not work think . That some one has to give them money . I guess they like sitting on there behind watching , I guess I do not know what they I work to pay my taxes, so they can sit
- How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
- LouLv 69 years ago
How about a flat tax for everyone making over the poverty level, say 10% tax and no loop holes, problems would be solved.
- Anonymous9 years ago
They are not hoarding any of our money/
We all earn what we want to earn.
If you wanted to be wealthy, and gott off your butt, you would be wealthy.
We have debt becauase of people like you, sitting around, wanting hand out after hand out.
Taking money simply because people work hard makes no sense at all. You want to punish people for not being lazy? For working hard?
- 9 years ago
Dont use FACTS on libs.....they are allergic and their heads explode
- 9 years ago
The rich are taxed. It's called a tax bracket.