B&A: What books would you recommend for me (+BQ's)?

I've never asked this question before! Sooo....I'm not *too* picky with books, but just for random info: I love fantasy novels, but it's an immediate turn-off when they're bogged down with random unpronounceable words which seem to serve no purpose other than being random and... show more I've never asked this question before!
Sooo....I'm not *too* picky with books, but just for random info:
I love fantasy novels, but it's an immediate turn-off when they're bogged down with random unpronounceable words which seem to serve no purpose other than being random and unpronounceable.
Comedy is nice. Tragedy is nicer.
NO VAMPIRES. Also, I'd prefer no werewolves.
Angels and demons? They're pretty cool :)
Romance is nice, but not when the whole story is centred around it.
Violence = good
Twenty thousand pages describing nothing other than the glistening of dew on grass = not-so-good
Whiny protagonist who is never happy with anything in his/her life = kill them.

Soo, I'm open to just about any suggestions :D Can you help me out? I feel book-deprived.

BQ: What are YOUR book preferences?
BQ FOR AUSSIES: Hope you had a great Easter. We've got ANZAC day tomorrow. Is anyone else going to a dawn service?
Update: LOL Indi! "Happy Anzac - wait......."
Dawn servicey service for Kitty. They're quite pretty, you must admit.
Update 2: @Billet- Doux - OH YOU LEGEND, thank you! :) And I agree, it's one of the nicer holidays. So respectful :)