Concerning different versions of the bible...?

I'm confused as to how the bible can be the word of God yet there are many different translations, each containing different passages and omitting others. Surely we can't be allowed to pick and choose God's word? If the different versions of the bible don't contain the same rules and guidelines as... show more I'm confused as to how the bible can be the word of God yet there are many different translations, each containing different passages and omitting others. Surely we can't be allowed to pick and choose God's word? If the different versions of the bible don't contain the same rules and guidelines as to how to life a good christian life, then how are we supposed to know which one is right (if any?)?

How are we supposed to know which messages are God's word and which messages were confused or lost in translation?

I don't mean to attack the bible, I'm just curious as to why discrimination founded on religious beliefs is tolerated when nobody really knows what the original bible contained?