How do I remove a BIG bush?

I have a bush in my back yard that I must remove in order to install a raised garden bed in it’s place. I have no idea what kind of bush it is but it looks a bit like some kind of evergreen pine of some sort. Anyway, It’s pretty big. About 5’ x 5’ I’d say. I can’t get to it to put a chain around and pull it out with a truck, and I don’t have a come along either. If I just chop it down level with the ground am I ok to just place the raised bed on top of the stub? Or will it still grow up through the bottom of my garden bed? I have heard of putting stump killer on the stub but am worried that whatever chemicals that may be in that stuff might contaminate the vegetables I plan to grow there. Any pro’s out there have any suggestions? Thanks….

• stone
    Favorite Answer

Don't cut the tree down! to remove this tree, the height will act as leverage to help in breaking the roots loose.

We all want to find the easy way to do something... and sawing the trunk off level with the soil... seems easy... stack soil on top of the trunk and plant... seems simple enough...

Good on you for thinking about the possibility that the shrub / tree may send new growth up through the new soil... also, leaving this bush in place means that the plants wouldn't be able to send their roots down into the native soil...

I remove a lot of small trees and large shrubs. Almost never do I hook up the chain and the truck... The thing about hooking up the 4 wheel drive truck to the shrub... it doesn't pull the plant out! It seems like if you put the truck in four wheel drive, there should be no probs... doesn't work.

I go in with the shovel, and dig around the trunk a foot out or so... after finding the roots, I go in with a mattock. An axe works to sever the roots, but I can dig the hole deeper with the mattock, as well as severing the roots.

Eventually I get enough roots cut through that the shrub / small tree can be rocked... then, with someone to hold the tree one way... chop some more, lean tree the other way chop n sever... it's about a 15 minute job... takes longer when I'm trying to salvage the shrub and plant it somewhere else... the second person is nice to have, but I've often removed these trees and bushes without help...

After removing the shrub, you will need to turn the native soil before adding the new soil... the plants will thank you.

• ?

How To Remove A Bush

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

How do I remove a BIG bush?

I have a bush in my back yard that I must remove in order to install a raised garden bed in it’s place. I have no idea what kind of bush it is but it looks a bit like some kind of evergreen pine of some sort. Anyway, It’s pretty big. About 5’ x 5’ I’d say. I can’t get to it to put a chain around...

Source(s): remove big bush: https://tr.im/zCk8F
  • bob

Cut it off about 3' above ground level.

Dig round the trunk about 2' deep, cutting any roots you come across.

Grab the trunk and rock it and twist it until it comes up.

I've shifted hundreds of sizable trees and bushes like this.

Prune or saw as many branches off as you can. Now saw the truck as close to the ground as you can. Yes you can just put your raised bed on top. The stump will not grow through your new raised bed.

One sure way to totally kill it.Do as you explained above.Then afterward,go to places like Home Depot that have tool rentals & get a "stump" grinder to eliminate the stump completely.

park your car in it.

BURN IT!