How do I remove a BIG bush?

I have a bush in my back yard that I must remove in order to install a raised garden bed in it’s place. I have no idea what kind of bush it is but it looks a bit like some kind of evergreen pine of some sort. Anyway, It’s pretty big. About 5’ x 5’ I’d say. I can’t get to it to put a chain around and pull it out... show more I have a bush in my back yard that I must remove in order to install a raised garden bed in it’s place. I have no idea what kind of bush it is but it looks a bit like some kind of evergreen pine of some sort. Anyway, It’s pretty big. About 5’ x 5’ I’d say. I can’t get to it to put a chain around and pull it out with a truck, and I don’t have a come along either. If I just chop it down level with the ground am I ok to just place the raised bed on top of the stub? Or will it still grow up through the bottom of my garden bed? I have heard of putting stump killer on the stub but am worried that whatever chemicals that may be in that stuff might contaminate the vegetables I plan to grow there. Any pro’s out there have any suggestions? Thanks….
8 answers 8