Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsCycling · 9 years ago

What is a fast mountain bike to buy?

As of right now I have a Schwinn Midmoor Hybrid bike that I bought for some commuting to and from work and for riding around my city in general. I've come to realize that I am really into off road riding but I also like speed. The bike I have right now does well on the road but it doesn't compare to an actual mountain bike on rough surfaces. So now I'm looking for a fast mountain bike under $500 that has the speed I need on paved surfaces. Any suggestions on a good mountain bike or maybe just another hybrid bike that's well suited for off road riding? Once again I want good speed (i know not as fast as an actual road bike but something in between) and good off road capability. Thanks

Favorite Answer

Keep the Schwinn if you like it for street riding. But NO and I do mean NO mountain bike will be exactly "fast".

The best way I know how to speed up a mountain bike is install a set of Kenda Kross tires. 1st link below. The smooth tread will result in at least 3 to 4 mph faster speeds on the streets but lose the ability to go on rough off-road trails or mud.

Bikes Direct has some really good mountain bikes starting at $300 & up. 2nd link.

I think you should keep your hybrid for the street and get a mountain bike just for off road. A mountain bike's knobby tires will never be very fast on asphalt. Shock absorbers also slow down a bike. The straight up seating position of a hybrid is not that great for off road. If your off road riding doesn't include big jumps, you don't need absorbers.

• Beery

The fastest mountain bike is the one with the smallest tire contact patch and the strongest guy riding it. If you put slick high pressure tires on it, that will help for on-road use, but it's not exactly optimal when you're riding off-road. Putting slick high pressure tires on a mountain bike is kinda like putting racing tires on a farm tractor. If you want such a vehicle purely for on-road speed, you're using it wrong.

Hello my friend i think you may want to keep your Schwinn Midmoor for your commuting and get something like a specialized hard rock for your mtb needs you can get them around $500.00 a plain jain one this way you will have a good platform to build on. the stock bike is pretty fast but there are all kinds of thing to take into account like tires, crank size, drive train configuration, the list gos on and on. but i will say this, the bike is a all around good bike road or dirt and no one will laugh at you when your on this bike....! what im trying to say is its not like a walmart or some crappy big lot bike. if you don't like the name specialized look at some of the big name brand bikes there are all kinds of prices. go to jensonusa.com find the bike you like then go to ebay or craigslist coz this site is way to high. Good luck friend

Source(s): 41 years of experience

I suggest you order one kit to convert your mountain bike.For mountain bike,choose rear wheel kit to convert is much better.You can choose fast speed motor.More question,I think you can contact sales@leafmotor.com They will offer your more information about how to convert e-bike,how to buy a fast mountain bike.

Source(s): www.leafmotor.com