raya i asked in Social ScienceEconomics · 9 years ago

When did the United States become a powerful economic figure?

When did the economy in the United States finally stabilize?

And when did the United States become the top global economic figure?

Has the United States lost this top position? To who?

Update:

Well, when did it become <i>one of the leading</i> economic figures-- not top?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

The United States has been a major economic power almost since it was founded in the late 18th Century. It has always had a large population, fertile farmland, innovative industrial prowess, and abundant natural resources.

But it wasn't until World War II that the United States truly became the leading economic power in the world. During World War II, all of the world's other economic powerhouses (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Japan, Russia) suffered huge losses. Not only did they see millions of their people killed in battle, but their towns and factories were mercilessly bombed in the fighting. By contrast, the United States was relatively untouched by the war. We participated in the fighting, but it was all on enemy soil and our industry was actually more powerful at the end of the war than before.

In fact, I've heard that at one point in 1945 the United States was producing HALF of all of the world's industrial goods (even though we're about 5% of the population!).

We've kept that spot at the top ever since. The United States is still by far the largest economy in the world, with a GDP of $14.6 trillion. Many Americans wrongly believe that China has paased us, but that is simply not true. China's GDP is only $5.9 trillion - about a third the size of our economy (despite the fact that they have 4 times our population). You could argue that the European Union has replaced us as the largest economy, with a GDP of $16 trillion, but the EU is not a single country, but a loosely-connected alliance of several dozen countries.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 3 years ago

But it wasn't until World War II that the United States truly became the leading economic power in the world. During World War II, all of the world's other economic powerhouses (Germany, United Kingdom, France, Japan, Russia) suffered huge losses. Not only did they see millions of their people killed in battle, but their towns and factories were mercilessly bombed in the fighting. By contrast, the United States was relatively untouched by the war. We participated in the fighting, but it was all on enemy soil and our industry was actually more powerful at the end of the war than before.

• jinks
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Hatshepsut, Boadicia, Razia Sultan, Rani Chennamma, Rani Laxmibai, Chand Bibi, Ahilyabai Holkar, Obavva, Sheba, Demeter, Diana, Athena, Hera, Nefartiti, Fa Mulan, Kirtini.

• 9 years ago

Yes I am sure we are not the top, nor have we been for a good while. They like to keep it in americans heads that we are...but that is not the case. Our economic system is doomed for failure. I am not too sure when they became the top global economy...and if you know about the economy you know they just pull the wool over our eyes to make us spend spend spend...when really if we paid every dollar and cent back in circulation...we will still have a debt as to every single cent that is made there is debt tied into it. Why ?? Because our gov chose to put up a system that they pay for the money to be made from the federal reserve when really the federal reserve has nothing to do with the government...jsut a private entity that is concerned with one thing...that is getting themselfs money!!!

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.