Ash
Ash asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 9 years ago

Is English not the most widely spoken language?

I just saw a Y!A question that says Mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world, followed by Spanish... is that true... because 1.9 billion people speak English and only 1.2 billion speak Mandarin, and 500 million speak Spanish.

How is English not the most widely spoken language in the world?

@Wesley K you know for a fact? well it is a fact that 1.9 billion people speak english, and it is a fact that english is the international language, and don't even bother answering questions when you have absolutely no knowledge of the subject

@Erik Van Thienen I never said anything about native speakers... I said the most widely spoken language....

• RE
    Best Answer

Probably more people speak English badly than any other language. You consider that some kind of distinction?

• Angie

yes. mandarin is the most widely spoken language in the world. almosteveryone in china speaks it and china has, like, over 1 billion people there, which makes up 1/5 of the worlds population.

Mandarin Chinese has the most _native_ speakers. Only if you add up native speakers and people who speak English as a second or third language, will English be on top.

• pibe

English spoken in the largest number of countries around the world, but in sheer numbers Mandarin wins. Having said that, few people speak Mandarin outside of China unless they are of Chinese descent or have studied it intensively. Anywhere you go in the world, someone amongst the more educated population will usually speak English. It is the language of international business and commerce, just as French used to be.

Basically Mandarin has more native speakers but total speakers English has more when you include the people that have learned it later in life.

• Wesley

It's not. There are thousands of languages people speak. Just because you and your friends use a language it doesn't mean it's the most spoken. I don't know for a fact which language is the most spoken, but I know for a fact English isn't it.