is this a good appeal college admission letter? really need help!?

To Whom It May Concern,

I was really surprised when I received a rejection letter from Minnesota State University- Mankato. I knew when I applied that my high school grades weren’t that great. However, since I applied to MSU back in January my grades have improved. I have stayed after school and got help with what I was struggling with. It really helped me get my grades up.

It took me some time to make a decision regarding what I wanted to do with my life. When I went to visit your school I was interested in your school because of the information giving to me when I went to visit your school back in December. I was introduced to your business program and how great it was. That’s when I knew I really wanted to go into the business field.

I am currently enrolled in a business internship class called Business Professionals of America (BPA). It’s a class that gets us prepared for jobs in the business field. I have won several awards in that class. Got top place in regional events, and competing with other schools. It also helps us balance our job and school work. Business is the program I want to major in your school.

I would really love to attend your school in the fall. I would be the first one from my family to attend college and my parents would be really proud and honored if I attend Minnesota State University-Mankato. I have also had the best trimester yet at my high school. I hope you will accept these new scores and reconsider my application.

I fully understand and respect your decision to deny me admission, but I do hope you will reopen my file to consider this new information. I really feel that I would do great at MSU, and fell in love with it when I went to visit it in December. It remains the school I would most like to attend.

Sincerely,

Favorite Answer

Don't humiliate yourself with an appeal.

Just move on...

• Kate

It's a great letter, but a rejection is a rejection, sadly. I would take college classes elsewhere, and then re-apply next year with your new, better GPA.

The important thing is that you attend college somewhere. This closes the door only on your freshman year there, not the other years. You can still get in at a later date.

The first two years at any college are all general education classes anyway - if I had to do it again I would have done the first two years at an inexpensive community college, then transferred to a "great" college for the final two. Would have saved a ton of money.

Source(s): Former College Admissions Employee Licensed Psychotherapist/Social Worker
  • Chris

Looks pretty good. Did you met the dean of admissions? If not, definitely look into an interview with them because that can make a huge difference. A lot of people shrug off an interview but even having when when not needed can get you on good terms with the school and make a good impression.

Personally, I was rejected to a private school's pre-pharmacy program after meeting the dean of admissions. It is a competitive program so I applied elsewhere and 5 months later, I got a call to fax them my grades. 12 minutes later I was accepted into the pharmacy program with a $50,000 scholarship.

In person impressions mean a lot and I was fortunate to have the interview.

As long as you raised your GPA/test scores and meet the requirements, you should be good to go.

Good luck,

Chris

• You cannot appeal a rejection letter. The admissions office may sympathize, but reconsidering your application would be unfair to other rejected applicants, and accepting you would be unfair to those waitlisted, who get priority if there happen to be any open spots left for enrollment. It's a nice letter, but it won't do much good.