In the Catholic religion , is having body piercings or tattoos a sin?

I ask because my mother and I were talking to a priest before mass and he had told me. "Take out that nose ring". Is it a sin? If its nor Why would he tell me to do so?

13 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Best Answer

Priests are human beings and have opinions, just like everyone. Your priest hates piercings (probably tats too). There are a few lines in the Old Testament that disapprove of such things, but in those days, tatoos and piercing were signs of property and ownership. Today they are just frivolity.

Jesus said nothing on the subject, and the Letter of James condems judging people on the basis of their appearance. And so does the Church, particular priests excluded.

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

No. It is merely a cultural thing. Some see things like clothes you would wear to party, exposed tattoos and piercings as disrespectful of sacred times and places.

You must live in such a local culture. Move to a larger city where such things are often not noticed or are chalked up to youthful indiscretion (and tolerated) and not taken as an insult.

So the priest thinks that you lack respect for sacred places and times. He may be right or wrong. You know whether he was or not. Do not be so naive as to think that a priest is never wrong, and if he was right, do not think that his judgment was uncalled for. Sacred places and times should be acknowledged (if not for yourself, for the sake of others around you.)

• 6 years ago

Of course it is a sin, according to the Bible.

Leviticus 19:28 says: "You shall not make any gashes in your flesh for the dead or tattoo any marks upon you: I am the Lord."

Matt 5:17-18 says that every letter of the Old Testament Law is still valid.

Anyone who gets a tattoo is lying and a hypocrite if they claim that they do what the Bible says.

• C J
    Lv 7
    9 years ago

Its not a sin as such but can be seen as disrespectful depending upon the cultural views of the area. Tattoos and piercings should be covered in this instance, but they are not seen as sinful (unless done specifically to rebel against a legitimate authority such as the church or parents directives.)

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 9 years ago

Of course not. The priest is a mistaken. Tattoos have been accepted by Catholics since the crusades.

• 9 years ago

According to the Old Testament, you're not supposed to make marks or tattoos on your body.

• 9 years ago

I don't think it is covered, and I think that dic should have been more pleasant to you. He is losing his parishioners faster than you can say,"bendover!"

He probably just didn't like it or thought it was gang-ish or something. What do YOU care what he thinks? He can't even get a date!

PS-nose rings are a sign of submission and are deeply offensive to grow-ups everywhere.

He might be able to quote a bible verse at you about defiling your temple, but you can tell him he is a cross-dresser, so there!

Source(s): Recovering Catholic.Celebrating 46 years of anti-catholic ideas.
  • DaveD
    Lv 6
    9 years ago

I am not sure why anyone, especially a girl would wear a nose ring. It is a ancient symbol of submission... that you are the "property" of someone else.

• Madhu
    Lv 5
    9 years ago

It is NOT a sin. But it is plain stupid. It is a sign of superstition, and superstition is based on puerile fear, with no faith in God whatsoever. Superstitions are evil, and based on a highly evil mentality.

Source(s): mk
  • Anonymous
    9 years ago

In the catholic religion....everything is a sin

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.