Are parents of this generation going to be forced to be more "upfront" with their kids about their past?

The other day I was reflecting on some things...thinking about my future..etc.......and I got to thinking about the type of parent I'll someday be. So I got to thinking that I'd like to be a parent who expects great things out of their kids, but at the same time (mainly when they are older), tell them... show more The other day I was reflecting on some things...thinking about my future..etc.......and I got to thinking about the type of parent I'll someday be.

So I got to thinking that I'd like to be a parent who expects great things out of their kids, but at the same time (mainly when they are older), tell them about mistakes I made along the way, and the reprecussions of whatever those mistakes may have been. As an example (and this part doesn't apply to me, personally, as I can honestly say I've never done drugs).....imagine a dad screaming about his son for using pot, when he himself used to smoke it regularly. Is that more effective than the dad explaining the reasons he QUIT smoking pot (the illegal nature of it, maybe it made him more lazy? whatever may have happened) and why his son shouldn't?...

So from there, my mind branched out even further, and I got to thinking about all the young adults today who's "escapades" end up on Youtube, Twitter, Facebook, etc. Who knows how long that info will be readily available online.....but it seems to me like in today's world we are under a microscope 24/7, moreso than we were even 10 years ago..

Kids are definitely going to be far more able to see what mommy and daddy were up to back in the day, more than they previously could..