Small squid off the gulf of mexico?

As I was fishing on my buddies dock, in Florida, I discovered a small black squid about a little bit bigger than a regular closed fist. As I caught it, it curled into a ball. When I let go, it slowly swam off like a very slow squid. It also spew out purple-black ink as it swam off, and this was onshore. I researched this and the closest thing I've found so far is a vampire squid but it's description doesn't fit. What species is this squid, if it isn't a vampire squid?

Favorite Answer

By the way, this is travel Mexico. Missed your mark by quite a few miles to cross the Gulf of Mexico to the country of Mexico. Need to post in the correct location and/or use Wikipedia.

There are 300 different species of squid . I caught some squid in the Sea of Cortez that weighed 50 pounds . Its hard to tell without more physical evidence .