Why do people say the bass guitar is easier to play?

the bass is not easier to play than guitar in my opinion. Try playing a quick riff on guitar than try the same thing on bass. i think that the guitar is easier but it has more difficult parts. why do they think bass is easier to play? have they ever just thought that maybe they are listening to crappy music?

Victor wooten is a bass god i bet that isnt easy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6BLQDIM52A

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

bass having 4 strings makes it harder since their is less range.... so instead of going up a string you have to move your hand higher up the fret board... i dont know where you got the fact that bassist are ugly their are some scary *** looking guitarist out there... there are chords on bass to listen to maiden. im not hating on guitar i like all instruments since i play just about everything but when i see that people talk crap about bass it makes me realize how dumb some people really are.

Favorite Answer

Because most people don't listen to music with good bass players.

It's that simple.

The bass players in most popular rock bands are terrible, unlike 40 years ago when you had guys like John Entwistle, John Paul Jones, Larry Graham, etc playing in chart-topping bands.

• Pamela

Nobody would say a harmonica is harder than a flute or recorder just because it doesn't require the use of finger placement, but when it comes to guitar & bass apparently less strings=easier. I'd see it the opposite way, a much harder challenge is to write a good lead on bass with 4 strings than a good lead on a 6 string guitar. As for whather its easier, not at all a bass presents just as many difficulties in its own areas as a guitar does. Also any half decent bassist will not imitate the guitar throughout the entire song but make the guitarist play around the scales & chords the bassist is presenting. John Paul Jones Flea Bootsy Collins Pino Palladino Jaco Wooten Mark King want me too keep suggesting?:P

• Sean

Well... a lot of bass guitar parts (not all, but many) are simply repeating notes. [I play the guitar, and when I glance at the bass guitarist's sheet music, all I usually see are notes.] Guitars, on the other had, have chords, riffs, solos, and more. But, advanced bassists (I mean, the best) play a lot of complex things, which are really hard.

Also, there are very, very easy guitar songs anyone (I mean anyone) can learn and play. At the same time, there are plenty of insanely hard guitar parts.

Guitars:

A little hard when starting, but gets easier

Basses:

Easy to start, but hard to master

Both instruments aren't easy, but really it depends what you are playing.

It's got 4 strings and root note basslines come a lot quicker than barre chords or fiddly solos. Plus most bass players are dumb n ugly.

• bka

cause its easier to play badly.

a lot of people think that its "like guitar but less strings and no chords"

but to play it well? no. its not easier.