Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicMovies · 9 years ago

why does sin city feel familiar?

i was thinking that sin city seems awfully familiar, i dunno how, just the way the people narrate, and the style is very exciting, which films does it remind me of? it seems a bit like a detective movie like in the 40's a little bit with bruce willis' character, so what films might it remind me of?

4 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

"Sin City" is self-consciously operating within the Film Noir tradition of the 1940's and 1950's; these films were often based on published novels and stories written in the first person, where the protagonist narrates the action. This technique was often carried over from the stories to the film versions.

The predominantly black-and-white cinematography is an homage both to Miller's original graphic novel and to the great Noir films of the classic era. Personally, I enjoyed 'Sin City' a helluva lot, both the books and the film, since I'm a pushover for the whole Noir thing!

Try 1947's "Out of the Past", a classic noir starring Robert Mitchum and Jane Greer, where the protagonist's shady past is catching up with him, despite his efforts to go straight. You'll find many of the classic tropes and tags of the genre right here - it's a good intro if you're interested in following up on these films.

"I, The Jury" (1953) is another, far more brutal film, where the protagonist, private eye Mike Hammer, seeks revenge for the murder of a war buddy and wades through an ever-increasing number of corpses to get to the truth. Hammer resembles Sin City's Marv, in his single-minded determination to get revenge, and his impatience with 'conventional' processes. The use of extreme physical violence to achieve their ends makes both Marv and Mike Hammer similar uncontrollable outsider figures.

The original Mike Hammer stories (by Mickey Spillane) are written in the first person, and can be characterised by their angry and misogynistic tone; by today's standards, Hammer is an unrepentant racist and sexist, so much of the language would now be considered extremely offensive. Hollywood production codes of the time meant that much of this could not be transferred to the film versions, which are much tamer by comparison.

See also 'The Big Sleep' (1946) and 1940's 'Stranger on the Third Floor', both iconic examples.

Source(s): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Film_noir for definitions and examples of the genre http://www.lileks.com/bw/noir/thirdfloor/index.htm... for a review of 1940's 'Stranger on the Third Floor', with some excellent stills which show exactly the kind of visual cues used. http://www.filmnoirstudies.com/glossary/index.asp for some useful definitions of the techniques and plot devices used in making Noir films, many of which are used in 'Sin City'.
  • 3 years ago

imagine of the time-honored tale. 3 acquaintances want to drink, swear, and make hardship. they don't care about each person else yet tell one yet another they're like brothers. Ask the youngsters in the experience that they comprehend human beings like that and allow them communicate it a touch. sometime they detect a suitcase with numerous income it in an abandoned abode. Ask the youngsters what they imagine will take position. One guy is going away for a lengthy time period to get something. what is going to both left with the money communicate about? Have them position-play in pairs. Now have them imagine about the guy who went away. what is going to he be questioning about at the same time as he's away? would he extremely want to split the money 3 techniques? What would he settle on to do? Now have them imagine what is going to take position at the same time as the third guy returns. Write their guesses down on the board. Then tell them that they could locate out what handed off at the same time as they study the tale.

• 9 years ago

Plot

• 9 years ago

it kinda reminded me of Max Payne or maybe Max Payne reminded me of Sin City. idk.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.