The Peace Of Augsburg was what?

My hw asks if "The Peace of Augsburg (1555) was violated on numerous occasions by Lutherans and Calvinists"? I don't understand the question and I don't know the answer. Didn't the Peace of Augsburg help them?

Also around this time did Protestant women have more or less freedom and could they work?

Favorite Answer

The Peace of Augsburg was designed to allow the 'German States' to follow their chosen Roman Church or Protestant religion. This did not necessarily give the 'grass-roots' such choice. The Peace was quite successful as the document was laboriously negotiated. The Thirty Years' War opened up the wounds between the various religious groups in Europe, once again. The Treaty was essentially between the Emperor and the Protestants. The only possibility I can think of from using sources (cited below), is that the Protestants fought among themselves for new territory. I do see how the Lutherans at times worked at evangelizing new followers. But the Peace of Augsburg, according to all was quite successful up to the Thirty Years' War as I have already mentioned.

Source(s): Bostrom, Jack (Text Editor) - Visual History of the World. Washington: National Geographic: 2005, pp. 130-131, 256-257 Dalal, Roshen - The Compact Timeline of The World. Cambridge,. England: Worth Press: 2010, p. 67 Spitz, Lewis W. - The Renaissance and Reformation Movements: Volume 2: The Reformation. Chicago: Rand McNally: 1972, p. 369, 378, 431, 490, 562
  • peevee

The Peace of Augsburg was signed at the end of the war between the Lutheran Princes and the Imperial forces of the Holy Roman Empire. Martin Luther was the first reformer to have a large following and many Princes of the Empire had accepted his ideas in a period when Catholicism was only recognised religion. This led to a war in the Empire between states that followed Lutheran princes and those that held on to the old views. The was was brought to an end by the Treaty of Augsburg that also provided for a solution to the religious problem. it was decided that the people of a state would follow the religion of its ruler. Each prince got the freedom to choose the official religion of his state. This had the effect of officially recognising 'Lutheranism'.

The Treaty had given official recognition only to 'Lutheranism' and to no other form of protestantism. Naturally other protestants especially Calvinists, who were not protected by the Treaty, had to fight for recognition. As religion was decided by the princes, the minority groups in each state suffered. To establish their rights these groups had to organise themselves in violation of the Treaty. .