PATotkaca asked in PetsFish · 9 years ago

Why won't my discus grow?

A month or two ago, I bought a little pair of discus, at that time, the bigger on is only about 3-5 mm bigger than the other one in diameter. But today, the bigger one grew rapidly until it's about 3 cm long (it's just around an inch long when I bought it) but the smaller one remained still. The little one eats pretty much food, but it doesn't grow at all. What's happening?

Favorite Answer

This has happened to me before. The larger one may have established dominance in the tank. I started off with 2 green terrors, one slightly larger than the other. Maybe about 1/4 inch larger than the smaller one. The larger one is now about 5" and the smaller one is only about 2.5" to 3". So basically the larger discus most likely had more food to eat.

@ Peetr: I don't think the sex of the fish matters. It might, but for me the larger Green Terror is a female, and the smaller one is a male.

Are they the same species of discus? Some grow more rapidly than others. What size is the tank? Discus grow pretty large, so for a pair, I'd recommend nothing smaller than a 50g tank. How are the water parameters? Discus are very sensitive and require immaculate water quality, otherwise they'll suffer. Test your water (not with the plastic strips!) and perform a partial water change if necessary.

How's their diet? They should both be on a staple diet of discus pellets/flakes, supplemented with protein such as brine shrimp, bloodworms, mealworms, earthworms, wingless flies, insect larva, etc. three to four times a week.

It's possible that the larger one is demanding dominance over the smaller one, which would account for his growth spurt. Make sure that your fish have enough space to thrive, and they remain on a healthy diet. Keep an eye on your fish and watch for any aggression.

probably sex difference,