How do you get over a car crash?

Today I had a minor car crash (ran into a car on a red light; dented the back) and ever since I've been feeeling really depressed and havnt been able to work. How do you get over something like this? I'm obv not driving in a while (im so shaken up), I have so much work that I'm not able to do, and I have to get up earlier so that i can get to where i need to be on time.

Favorite Answer

I had a small accident while I was learning how to drive, my instructor got me into a car and into the city centre straight away and he said if I don't start driving immediately, I may start to develp a fear of driving.

So, my suggestion is, if you already lost your confidence, get someone with you in the car, either a driving instructor or a friend with some driving experience and go for a drive. Or just drive in some relatively low traffic areas on your own and then start going a bit further away. It should take you about 4-5 days to feel confident enough to get around the city again, though it's more likely to take a few months or even a year before your confidence is fully back. I clipped my side-mirror once while I was driving and it took 3 months to get confidence back and about 1 year to put it completely behind me. I even saw I would clip it and just thought "no, it'll be fine". Error in judgement.

I do not know a single driver who never head an accident of any sorts. My mother is probably the safest driver I've seen and in her 30 years of driving, even she had 2-3 accidents, one of which required replacement of two doors. None of the accidents were her fault.

So small accidents like yours or mine are quite common and they do not mean that you are a bad driver. They are especially common with new drivers, in the first couple of years of driving, you are probably more likely to have a small accident than not.

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/statistics/datatablespub... says that "Failed to look properly was the most frequently reported contributory factor and was reported in 35 per cent of all accidents. Four of the five most frequently reported contributory factors involved driver or rider error or reaction."

So, as you can see, it's quite common. Driver's error or reaction is likely to lead to small accidents like yours, unlikely to lead to anything more than aclipped mirror, small bend, brocken bumper etc and is the most common type of accident and you are now officially part of that statistscs ;)

The most important thing however is to get back into the car and start driving. The more you hesitate the worst it will be. So, get someone to go with you or just pay for an extra driving lesson or two and you should start getting your confidence back.

Hope this helps.

Source(s): Personal experience

Suck it up and move on with life. Just remember what Forrest Gump said after stepping in dog ****..."It happens." My wife, who hates driving to begin with, was in a rollover accident, dislocated her shoulder...and was back driving the next day. I know I might come across harsh, but it's true. Things happen, you can't dwell on them or live in the past. Let go and move on.

It takes a little time to adjust. A day is too soon, but after a week you should be over the worst of it. After a month it should just be part of your experience.

Drive more, and gain back your confidence. This might take time.