Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureReligion & Spirituality · 9 years ago

Question About The Black Madonna?

I'm talking about the original painting in Czestochowa. Are those the actual sword cuts, or are those the ones that were painted on. 'Cuase I read somewhere that they redid the painting and drew the cuts in with pen.

This is what my guidebook says

...the Black Madonna in Czestochowa was probably painted in 1434, on top of an older Byzantine icon. The original Black Madonna whcih was damaged by robbers in 1430"

And this is what wikipedia says,

"Despite past attempts to repair these scars, they had difficulty in covering up those slashes. In commemoration of the attack, two slashes on her right cheek were made by a pen."

So I don't know what to believe. I wouldn't be surprised if the guidebook was wrong though. It wouldn't be the first time.

Best Answer

The Black Madonna was painted by St. Luke the Evangelist; and it was while painting the picture, Mary told him about the life of Jesus, which he later incorporated into his gospel.

The next time we hear of the painting is in 326 A.D. when St. Helen found it in Jerusalem and gave it to her son and had a shrine built for it in Constantinople. During a battle, the picture was placed on the walls of the city, and the enemy army fled. Our Lady saved the city from destruction.

The picture was owned by many other people until 1382 when invading Tartars attacked a Prince Ladislaus' fortress, where the painting was located. A Tartar's arrow lodged into through the throat of the Madonna. The Prince transfered the painting to a church in Czestochowa, Poland.

In 1430, the church was invaded and a looter struck the painting two times with his sword, but before he could strike it another time, he fell to the ground in agony and pain, and died. The sword cuts and the arrow wound are still visible on the painting.

http://www.christusrex.org/www1/apparitions/pr0000...

It still has the original cuts, not drawn on