Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 10 years ago

What tense is this 'il est touché' in French?

What tense is it when you put etre + the past participle. I am not talking about the verbs that take etre verbs (Dr & Mrs Vandertramp) because I am sure certain phrases such toucher do not take etre usually. So what is this tense? And are there any other verbs that use that construction?

Thank you for any answers - Mock A level in French and I would love to clear this up! :)

Favorite Answer

"Il est touché" is the present in the passive voice . I think it's the same in English . When the subject of the verb doesn't do the action expressed by the verb but is subjected to this action done by somebody or something else :

there's a thing called the passive voice, whose construction is the verb être + past participle of the main verb . In fact it looks like the "passé composé", except those main verbs use the verb avoir for compound tenses . Such as "toucher" . But you chose an uneasy example, because "je suis touché" also means" I'm affected" .

Take any other verb, like aimer . We say " il a aimé ce film " at passé compôsé, and " il est aimé par ses enfants" in the passive voice at present .

Il est touché is the present in the passive voice . ( if it doesn't mean " he's affected " in this precise case ) .

If you want to say this at passé composé it will be " il a été touché" , though the normal passé composé of toucher ( active voice ) is " il a touché" .

Source(s): t present

Present.

Means literally 'it/he is affected.'

The past participle can be taken as an adjective in some instances, such as this.

The verbs that can use this construction are verbs whose English translation are 'to be...'

Present passive tense. 3rd personne du singulier .

I think it's present but not sure

oui