Anonymous
Anonymous asked in EnvironmentGreen Living · 9 years ago

How to generate electricity out of solar panels?

Since the devastating events in Japan, I'm trying to change my thinking. Is there a way to generate power with renewable energies? I'd like to have my own solar panel on my home. I'm living in Scottsdale. So, I think, the insolation over here is pretty good. I've searched the web on all this stuff but cant decide which way to choose.

Can you help me?

Thanks =)

John

Favorite Answer

There are many options including solar, geo-thermal and wind energy. Each has its own issues and benefits but the most readily available is solar.

Starting small, like with a solar water heater, is a good idea until you understand the process and have educated yourself on how to build a solar panel and how the various components work together.

There is more information on homemade solar panels below.

Good luck!

• ALEX

Hook your panel up to an M.P.P.T. charge regulator. In the past panels were just connected through relays to battery storage which loaded the panel downwards. Most panels generate 900w at 17volts. Thats the possible energy output, but what in actuality happens is you connect a 12v battery to the panel. The panels voltage falls to that of the battery and you lose 20-30% of the energy available, thats a big loss! MPPT or maximum power point tracking is a system whereby a controller matches the load of the battery to the available power currently being delivered. This is called the maximum power pt. It gives you 96% and sometimes better power. They are still expensive but there are kits available now which cut the cost. Solar water heating is a good idea, done right you can switch your cylinder heater off 6 mths of the year.

Solar hot water systems are affordable and cost effective today.

The efficiency, effective life span and cost effectiveness of photo voltaic panels or solar electric for the home is being improved every year. Some companies offer "no money down, pay from your savings" deals but I would be inclined to wait at least another year on photo voltaics to avoid being locked a long term contract with equipment that will soon be eclipsed by newer technology.

Wind turbines are not practical nor allowed in most residential settings.

Meanwhile, how's your insulation and window covering? Hot water pipes wrapped, etc? Lots we can all do.

Happy to see people thinking green.

Source(s): Green Industry

Decide which form(s) of alternative energy will suit your home's needs best. In many areas of the country, solar panels are popular due to the number of sunny days in that region, while in other areas homeowners primarily choose wind turbines that can be installed in their back yards.

You may decide that a combination of both solar and wind energy is right for you. For many, the choices available to generate energy at home are directly related to product and installation costs, which can vary dramatically. Do-it-yourself solar panel kits as well as professional installation companies are available, but the price difference between these two options can be in the thousands. Weigh costs (along with installation knowledge and expertise required) to come up with the best option for your home.

Hi John,

yes, I totally agree with you that Japan is suffered from horrible events. Although the US generates only about 8 percent of total energy out of nuclear energy but it still should be an avoidable part.

Now to your question. A friend of mine already have got a solar panel on his roof. That panel he had set up about two years ago. I have talked him and he told me that he got the information from a website that offers a step by step guide. You may shall check out the link I have posted beneath. The guide got him hooked, so I guess it has been worth it to set up solar panels.

You can find further information on how to receive your own electricity with renewable energies, on this website:

http://bit.ly/eGjuuC

Best wishes,

Mike

1

Source(s): Build Home Solar Power - http://Solar.eudko.com/?hhQ

we all know that japan recently had disasters so we should use solar panels .