Natalee asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 10 years ago

LIFEGUARDING? Things i should know?

I am going to be applying for a life guarding job at the local country club next year and I am not quite familiar with what i need to be able to do. My best friend has an in-ground swimming pool and i will be at her house most of the summer anyways. so what are some things i should be practicing? thank you!

also, what types of classes and certification do i need under my belt?

Favorite Answer

you need to get lg certifired. when you are lifeguarding inside it is kida boring and it is really easy to zone out. outside is alot more fun. when i work i need to test the water clean up stuff that people left out. and put chairs back in place

• CS

Contact the country club first because not all facilities require or accept the same type of training and certification. You'll need to get certified in lifeguarding and CPR by either the American Red Cross or Ellis and Associates.

To prepare for the physical pre-test you should be able to swim at least 300 yards continuously. They usually make you divide it up between freestyle and breaststroke. You should be able to surface dive to a depth of 7-10 feet and retrieve a 10 pound brick. So work on building stamina. Don't start training for the pre-test and then stop though because endurance fades fast. So you want to start training and stick with it or not train until a few months before the test.

Source(s): Certified Lifeguard
  • _Jess_

I suggest a lifeguarding qualification. You will need to be fit and a strong swimmer. You will also need First Aid skills and knowledge. Take a course.