My 12 year old son wants an ipod touch for his bday . Should I get him the touch or the iphone?

My Thought: Paying the iphone bill w/ unlimited data is almost $2,880 for two years (not including downloading Apps). But he already has a phone (which I can give to his 10 yr old sister and get him a new single line). OR should I get him a touch?

My Dilema: it seems like if i get the touch, it would be a waste of money to pay for the same thing but without the phone feature & he has to carry around 2 items instead of 1, but then again, the cost is high for monthly service, i highly doubt he will need endless data pkg, all he does is text, play games and listen to music, which is also a waste of money. And doesnt the apps and games cost money and evens out with the monthly phone plan? OMG! HELP ME SOMEONE! HIS BIRTHDAY IS THIS FRIDAY!!

Favorite Answer

I would suggest the iPod touch for a 12 year old. The iPhone may have more features, but I just don't think they're necessary for a 12 year old. Like you said, the monthly bill is realllly high and by the time he gets to an age where he can really appreciate the phone's features, a new and better phone will be out, making this one basically useless (but you'll still be paying for it!)

Yes, that games and apps cost money regardless of iPod or iPhone.

The only other alternative I can suggest is buying a used iPhone from sites such as Kijiji or Craigslist (or even used cell phone shops). These phones cost about $300 but your son can stay on his current monthly plan, just switch over the SIM card.

Hope this helps!

Source(s): iPhone user

Really?... come on he is 12 like wtf does he need an iphone for like u said ull be spending almost 3 grand just to keep he connected. How about u give him that 3 grand and ask him if he would like to put it in the bank to buy a car or pay for college in the future. He will deff choose to stick it in the bank. Maybe you should do what my parents did to me at the age of 14 I got a job and paid for everything I own till this day (even my phone bill). At 17 I bought a 20K car and paid full and now i pay for my own college 48K a year... just saying maybe u should get him a job but then again he is only 12........

People are probably gonna tell you just get him the itouch but I would get him the iphone. He will probably be fine with the itouch for now but probably in a year he will want the iphone. So to save money just get the iphone cause if not you would buy the itouch and then later probably buy the iphone. I know the iphone cost a lot but you would probably save you money in the end. Plus if anything happens to it they can just give you a new one. They've given me a new iphone 4 like 3 times already. Its a good buy. Hope this helps.

Source(s): Experience

I'm 14 and I don't even have a cell phone yet I think you Are spooning your kids I would just but him an iPod touch it's not that bad at that age or just give him money he is way to young

Honestly if i may suggest get a used Ipod touch he is to young for the phone. Most likely he will break it or get lost/stolen. Happened to me and my brother before and I am taking my experience as proof.

• ?

I think you are spoiling him get him a basketball hoop or something kids don't need to be on phone texting and playing games they need to be outside playing football baseball u knw sports and you can get some apps free