What are some American foods that are rare in Europe?

I am having two Swedish friends come to America for the first time. I want them to experience what it's like in America and our typical cuisine (or rather something that isn't really found in Sweden).

I'd prefer not have junk food, but something to actually cook for them.

The only "American" things I can think of are Pop Tarts and other candy.

Any suggestions?

• viv
    Favorite Answer

Europeans will trip out on all the large servings that we get in restaurants.

Take them for good Mexican food and to a diner where they can get american style mac and cheese and other gargantuan delights. They don't eat cornbread in Sweden - go for jambalaya or gumbo and cornbread. Blue crabs that you eat legs and all are nice...corn on the cob when it is in season. Watermelons are rare as they don't have enough heat in the summer to grow them in Sweden.

• Jan N

It really depends where you live in the U.S. because there are significant differences in regional cuisine. I'm from the Pacific Northwest and would definitely want them to taste Western-style clam chowder, our Columbia river salmon, local Dungeness crab, fried razor clams, and fish and chips made from scratch using halibut. In the Pacific Southwest, they could try excellent Mexican food, fish tacos, the great hamburgers at In-And-Out burger, or some of the diner food you can find in L.A. Any West Coast city will also have a class breakfast with home fries. You might also ask if they've ever had Eggs Benedict or other wonderful Sunday brunch dishes that are so popular over here.

Other parts of the country will have their own wonderful specialties that are distinctly, uniquely American.

I would guess that just about everything is now available to them at the right price in Europe. However, if they travel here on the west coast, our selection of fruits & vegetables may be of interest - such as fresh artichokes, cherimoya, local seasonal melons like, local tomatoes - and dungeness crab on ice. We do have fresh grown produce & meats at a fair price and in greater variety that I actually saw in Europe.

Also - I found that we have much better variety of authentic Mexican & other Central/South American restaurant foods as well as our large variety of Asian & Asian-Pacific inspired dishes. Considering how the Chefs of the world seem to have left their homelands to establish restaurants from high end to ordinary neighborhood fair in places like Las Vegas, NYC & just about any town that could use a new restaurant. We as a nation have the new food resources of plenty & variety unfound on the rest of this planet. Have fun - I am sure they & you will enjoy the experience...

Have them try American food that is unique to the region of the country that you live in. For example:

If you live in New England: Various sea foods, such as clam chowder, lobster, crab, clams, so on and so forth.

If you live in the Southwest: Southwestern style rice, spices, chili, corn, beef, and chicken.

You pretty much get the idea. If I did not cover your region, then you should research the foods that are unique to your area of the U.S.

Source(s): Contrary to popular belief, we Americans don't just eat McDonalds and frankenfurters (hot dogs).

Yeah KFC and Taco Bell is something I crave for even after 5 years! I have to go to Austria to get some KFC and Taco Bell is still nowhere in sight...

Perhaps you shouldn't do this. I was in the US recently, and the food made me and my family sick. The sheer quantities of crap covered with gobs of artificial cheese, all deep fried is likely to make a Swede ill too.

twinkies... I would kill for one but theyre like £5 each here...

KFC