How does a non-religious person begin to believe in a higher power?

I lost touch with all things in the church many, many years ago. I do not pray, I do not really believe so to speak. However, with all the troubles in my life with a certain someone, and needing so desperately to let go - I was told that by having faith, or beliving, or having a "higher power" to look... show more I lost touch with all things in the church many, many years ago. I do not pray, I do not really believe so to speak. However, with all the troubles in my life with a certain someone, and needing so desperately to let go - I was told that by having faith, or beliving, or having a "higher power" to look to, things become easier... You don't feel as if you have a burden upon your shoulders because you know it's in the higher powers hands...........

With that said, how does one go from not believing to finding a higher power???? Is this even possible? Just curious on everyone's thoughts.
Update: interesting thoughts..... :) haha