how does a non-religious person begin to believe in a higher power?

I lost touch with all things in the church many, many years ago. I do not pray, I do not really believe so to speak. However, with all the troubles in my life with a certain someone, and needing so desperately to let go - I was told that by having faith, or beliving, or having a "higher power" to look to, things become easier... You don't feel as if you have a burden upon your shoulders because you know it's in the higher powers hands...........

With that said, how does one go from not believing to finding a higher power???? Is this even possible? Just curious on everyone's thoughts.

interesting thoughts..... :) haha

• Favorite Answer

You dont have to believe in a god. If you believe in yourself more things get easier. The people ive known that are religious actually had things get worse when they got religious. I dont think you should buy into just a single religion since they are all equal and you would be deluding yourself otherwise, unless you feel a specific religion is really right for you, not just for you to fit into a group but for yourself. I personally even though i am a moderately theistic agnostic, dont really care if there is or isnt a god since there are other different forces out there that could help me. This world is such a mess I can see that even with a god or several gods this god is not all powerful in this world most likely since eveyone here believes different things.

Source(s): agnostic non-religious spiritual omnitheist/theosophist (pretty much means i accept all ideas as valid in some way)
  • Rocky

Nikki, you need not my thoughts but the thoughts of God. What I am about to tell you is the how to accomplish what you asked.

It has worked for many: find a quiet place where you can spend about ten minutes quietly and will not be disturbed--no wireless allowed. In this place if you have a favorite religious song, play is so softly you can hardly hear it for it is not the music you want to listen to but is just part of the tranquil environment you desire. Do this once per day, three times if possible for one 30 period. If you do it seriously, a marvelous thing will happen.

Psalms 46:10 says---"Be Still---------------------and Know- That-----------I am God.

Be still means mentally physically so your spirit will communicate with God. You may just acknowledge to God why you are there, not more than three times in all of the thirty days. God may lead you to express yourself, feel free to do so, he may move upon your heart so you know he has spoken to you. This is not a seance, it is just doing what he ask--be still and know that I am God.

What a marvelous experience this can be. God Bless

Source(s): Long time Christian

I think that we all begin being non-religious people...(well I'm not religious, I'm christian, that 's a different thing)

But it all starts by having faith...faith is the base of a good relationship with God.

And it's true, you begin to feel your faith growing as you are having troubles. that what troubles are for :)

They are mostly difficult and painful but, that makes our faith grow.

So, don't be afraid of believe...when I pray things seems to be much lighter, all my problems I give them to God and he helps me....you don't know how much has He helped me :)...even when I am so hopeless and most of the time, so mean and rude to Him and all the people around me, who loves me :)

I must be very thankful :)

but this is your life, you decide who you want to be.

Source(s): btw, I'm Chilean, I'm 19 years old, Methodist, and proud of it.
  • ?

If the higher power is all powerful then that higher power is also responsible for all the troubles in your life. Why would you want to pray to the higher power that is causing your trouble in the first place?

The peace for you dear questioner,

Quran 39:53 translation

Say, "O My servants who have transgressed against themselves [by sinning], do not despair of the mercy of the God. Indeed, the God forgives all sins. Indeed, it is He who is the Forgiving, the Merciful."

Quran 50:16 translation

Indeed We have created man, and We know whatever his inner self whispers, and We are closer to him than (his) jugular vein,

Quran 20:114 translation

Then High above all is the God, the King, the True. And do not be hasty with the Quran before its inspiration is completed to you, and Say: "My Lord, increase my knowledge."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4i-8XwCK_w

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=fvwrel

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fQ4N3YWMAIk

Youtube thumbnail

• Paul

First off, if a "higher power" or some type of "religion" is all your looking for to help you feel better about yourself or your circomstances, then what I am about to say will be of no help to you. However, if you are truly wanting to find the one true God, your creator and Saviour, then read on.

Heb 11:6 But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him.

Source(s): ep
  • ?

"You don't feel as if you have a burden upon your shoulders because you know it's in the higher powers hands"

That's the problem. If you wait for your god to help you, you will never get anything done.

• t d

scripture always has the answers....

How then shall they call on him in whom they have not believed?

and how shall they believe in him of whom they have not heard?

and how shall they hear without a preacher? (Rom 10.14)

And how shall they preach, except they be sent? (Rom 10.15)

so who is it that preached the Gospel?? it was the apostles.

to find out what they preached, read the book of acts.

these were the men who were sent by the LORD to preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ.

without knowing what they preached it would be impossible to believe.

without belief it is impossible to OBEY the Gospel.

So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God. (Rom 10.17)

there are those (like Israel as referred to in Romans 10.21) who even though they hear, still refuse to believe...

But to Israel he saith, All day long I have stretched forth my hands unto a disobedient and gainsaying people.

so to you I say, read the Word, find a holiness apostolic church and soak it up!!

get into the Word, get biblically born again (John 3.5) and follow the LORD!

I additionally grew up believing in him. My mom replaced into incredibly non secular and that i did the full CCD ingredient and study the bible each and every evening and mentioned my prayers. and that i continually replaced into incredibly interested in it, yet after my mom exceeded...I nevertheless believed in him, possibly much extra. purely each and every thing she taught me approximately god and how she enforced what she believed makes me nevertheless have faith she is staring at me and that i believing we could me understand I continually have somebody to talk to whilst Im disenchanted or have a concern or experience like i'd desire to make an apology.... Its all the way you have been pronounced.

a state of desperation so intense than the person is willing to ignore facts and give in to superstition. It's particulary hard for someone who used to believe though, just like it is difficult for a 12 year old to believe again in santa claus.