Are scottish fold cats prone to compromised immune systems?

My vet says yes. I have two brothers, adopted a year ago from a rescue agency (kitten mill shut down), and they have been healthy and happy but one showed symptoms of ringworm (a hairless spot on his leg). When I brought him in and had tests run, he had what the vet called "the trifecta": ringworm, girardia, and ear mites. These are indoor cats, very pampered. I knew scottish fold were prone to skeletal abnormalties, and tried to watch their ears for infection, but I never read anything online (nor can I find it now) that they have faulty immune systems. I am giving all meds, and I don't mind the nursing, but I'd like to know if anyone has heard of this or has advice on how to deal with this.

Favorite Answer

Any cat housed in a community can come down with the "tri-fecta" that is not properly cleaned and disinfected, where animals from all walks of life are introduced regularly (like a shelter) as well as coming from a situation like yours did, it shouldn't be a surprise, and with proper medication and treatment it should be easily remidied. I have never personally heard of this breed of cats having immune disorders, but I would suggest you talk to some breeders that have experience with this breed, and then keep in mind that these cats were from a kitty mill situation, which means they could be inbred as well. Kudos to you for helping the helpless! I happen to think that the Scottish Folds are beautiful!

ADD: Did a little more research, and I think this is an excellent breeder for you to contact and also she has listed the health concerns for the Scottish Folds, Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (which seems to be prevalent more so in purebred cats as opposed to mutts), Polycystic Kidney Disease, and Osteochondrodysplasia. Still I do not find anything about immunity problems.

Here is the link, and her cats are DNA tested for the PKD and has had other testing to ensure her cats are not carriers of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy. I think she would be great for you to contact as I'm sure if anyone would know of this immunity problem, it would probably be her!

http://www.ambersnowcattery.com/health_matters.htm... Amber Snow Cattery; Marilee

Yes, they are, because the defective gene that causes the ear cartilege to fold, also causes lowered immune response.

Source(s): cat fancy magazine

They're adorable. I love the folded ears. Plus, they're less allergenic. It's good for allergy sufferers like me.