Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesHistory · 10 years ago

Was General.Lee racist?(description)?

Many southerners these days claim the Confederate flag a racist symbol.

i was wondering if the men who fought in the civil war on the confederate side.

were racist....

Its a research thing..

I asked because

Wikipidia lies!!

all i know is that the North treated the South like crap am i right?

Update:

Mike good answer.

True, good point.

Wikipidea does lie

it said that Daniel Tosh had sex with the guy who does cartmans voice lol.

People change stuff

But good answer.

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Mike
    Lv 4
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

Correction: most southerners think of the flag of the confederacy as a symbol of pride.

General Lee was personally not racist, but he did follow policies laid down by others in the confederate army and government that was racist.

Wikipedia doesn't lie.

The north did not treat the south like "crap", if they did, none of the confederate generals and politicians would be alive after the war, they would have being shot treason.

Source(s): Empirical Truth
  • 5 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Was General.Lee racist?(description)?

Many southerners these days claim the Confederate flag a racist symbol.

i was wondering if the men who fought in the civil war on the confederate side.

were racist....

Its a research thing..

I asked because

Wikipidia lies!!

all i know is that the North treated the South like crap am i right?

Source(s): general lee racist description: https://biturl.im/qG8qb
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

You're right the war was not racially motivated. Most liberal historians would have you believe the south was a bunch of cross burning klan members, and they fought for slavery. The truth is the south fought an oppressive union, the issue of slavery was the straw that broke the camels back. President Lincoln even offered the south a deal where they could keep the slaves if they simply join the union. The confederate army refused and fought anyway, betting their strength in numbers & conviction could see them through.

As for Lee, can't say for sure if he was personally racist, though he was not overtly. Look up Lincoln's speeches on the "*****" there's a racist!

Source(s): The bleep is Neg.ro Also just before his death Lincoln had plans in the works to send all blacks back to Africa with their own land that was good for farming.
  • 5 years ago

For those saying the war wasn't about slavery, have any of you actually read the speeches by the president and the vice president of the Confederacy when they broke away from the Union? LOL. In particular, search for Vice President Alexander Stephens' "Cornerstone Speech".

The most famous line in it is "Our new Government is founded upon exactly the opposite ideas; its foundations are laid, its cornerstone rests, upon the great truth that the ne.gro is not equal to the white man; that slavery, subordination to the superior race, is his natural and normal condition.".

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 10 years ago

Suggest you read "The Cornerstone Speech" by Confederate Vice President Alexander Stephens.

Pay special attention to the part about slavery, and white supremacism.

Lee wasn't racist? He permitted his soldiers to engage in the round up of free Blacks in Pennsylvania, and Maryland, during Confederate occupation.

Lee was also (like all of the planter aristocracy) a committed classist. You should take to time to read what he had to say concerning the poor whites, who were conscripted into his army.

War wasn't about slavery..."the South fought on account of the thing we quarreled with the North about. I never heard of any other cause for quarrel, than slavery"...Col. John Singleton Mosby...CSA

Also suggest you read the actual secession declarations of Southern states. That should clear up any further question as to what the war was actually about.

The Civil War was the second war the South waged to protect slave rights. The first being the Mexican War...which was forced on Northern states, and paid for by Federal taxation.

North treated the South like crap...lol...really? How could that be possible, since the South controlled US politics during the first half of the 19th Century...dominating both the executive and

legislative branches of government.

More like the South treated the nation like crap...using Federal power to suppress states rights in the West, and North. Ever hear of bleeding Kansas? Fugitive Slave Laws?

The Republican Party was formed to combat this political domination and abuse, and the election of 1860, was a peaceful revolt against that domination. The South's response...secession, Civil War, and the death of 360,000 Union patriots.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.