john asked in PetsBirds · 1 decade ago

Canada goose made a nest on our boat.?

We have a houseboat and a "Canada goose" made a nest with 3 eggs in it. It's on our back deck over the engines and we're only a month away from taking our first seasonal trip. I don't like these birds but I don't like destroying the nest. If I leave it alone, how long will it take for the birds to hatch? In the future how can I keep this from happening again? In the past I've had swallows making nests on the boat and I'm keeping them away with rubber snakes on the boat. What are geese afraid of?

Favorite Answer

A goose can lay on eggs for up to about 32 or more days. Once the eggs hatch, it only takes about a week or so for them to skedaddle off with the mom. They need the nest for a while longer so they can gather and keep warm at night till the chicks get their first feathers. The down needs to come off and new feathers will form. Once they look feathered and seem to leave, for the most part, then you can remove the nest and enjoy your summer home. The timing is actually good for you if she has been there for a while already. Please let her finish the job of rearing her brood and she will be off and doing her thing with the family soon. The local game department may frown upon any interference and may tell you the same thing I am. It never hurts to ask them what the state laws are in your area. Having them removed before the job is done is kind of sad and cruel. Some human rehaber will have to become a surrogate mom and take a lot of personal time to incubate the eggs or raise the goslings. It is best for the mom and dad, the true experts, to do it right. They don't fear too much when in breeding/brooding mode. They can go after large dogs, raccoons and even you! A goose can be a formidable fighter when challenged around a nest. Believe it or not they can hurt you with those wings and ridged beaks and clawed feet. They mean business! It will be done soon. You can take down the nest once you are sure she and her brood are gone. If she should lose her goslings to predators, she could always come back and start another nest and brood . You can try putting hardware cloth over the decking and motor area where she made the nest so she does not come back the next year. If you have extra dock bumpers and other things that are weather worthy pile them around the area. There are a few other things you can do, just ask your local game dept. Geese like the places where they make their homes and will come back again if you let them. Now you have to be careful when removing the nest so you don't get a bunch of junk in your air intakes on the motors. You did have them covered well for the winter, right? When removing the nest you also need to wear a face mask and gloves to protect your lungs from any bio factors and dust that the geese and nature offers up to irritate us, and any sharp sticks and grasses that may cut your skin. You do not want any cuts that can infect. Anyone who raises chickens and other foul will tell you the pooh and down dust is nasty stuff! You can get respiratory ailments like no flu you've ever had!!!!!!! If this suggestion does not help, like I said, call your local game department. That is their job to assist you in the information you seek. I would just enjoy the view and relish in the new life to come, then when they leave, get to cleaning. Have a wonderful summer! >{8>):

Source(s): 40 years avian fancying. A lot of happy little peckers!!!!!!!

you basically would desire to get somebody to pass up there and pass the nest( wait until eventually they pass away first). while they pass the nest they might desire to positioned some thing have been the nest became that way the ducks are not getting back.

I LOVE GEESE DONT BE MEAN TO THEM

H

A

V

E

A

S

C

A

R

I

F

Y

I

N

G

D

A

Y

!