Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Science & MathematicsGeography · 9 years ago

West Point information?

I'm wondering if there is any information I need to really know about WP. I'm currently an 8th grader but in 1-2 months will be a freshman. Our MS does 7 classes, i usually get 3-4 A's. But our HS is doing block schudeling which is 4 classes. I want to know some simple stuff about how to get into WP.

I am planning on doing lots of community service. i play baseball,football, basketball, and some cross country. I think I do pretty good in school. I'm in good physical condition. And I have an ex-US army officer who could be my recommendation for WP.

Is there anything else i need to do to assure my chances into getting into WP?

Best Answer

Getting into the United States Military Academy at West Point is no more difficult than getting a full ride at any university. The best people to succeed at West Point are intelligent, fit, driven, organized, disciplined, and have a thick skin to harassment or strong criticism. While people rarely fit in all categories, Entrance to West Point requires an application, three supporting essays from adults in your life, and a nomination. You must be a US citizen at time of enrollment (exceptions for foreign nationals chosen through intergovernmental exchange). You must be between 17 and 21 by 1 July of your year of admittance. You must be unmarried and have no children . You also are not supposed to have a job. Why all these rules? West Point is a hard school, both academically and physically, and you need to be young enough to survive it. Second, you will be so busy as a scholar athlete that you will have no time to work a second job, , .

You need to have a strong academic performance in high school, and do above average on the SAT and ACT. While they take a few B's and maybe one or two C's, academic consistency is critical. I had friends who had great grades their first three years and threw away their senior year to partying. West Point actually retracted their acceptance! Do NOT be that person! Take the SAT and ACT several times. West Point takes the highest score, and the better your score, the higher your chances are of getting in. USMA also evaluates your class rank and the "quality" of your school, so it greatly behooves you to increase your class rank.

You need to show West Point that you are a leader. They love Varsity team captains, Beta Club presidents, Class Presidents, Eagle Scouts, and church/social volunteer leaders. You are best off having a mix of the three. If you letter in a sport but aren't going to be team captain, run for office in a club you are a member of. West Point is in the business of making leaders, and they like to see they have material to work with.

You will need a nomination. You can get a nomination from the President, Vice-President, your Congressman, your Senator, as the child of someone with the Congressional Medal of Honor, or if your JROTC unit gets Honor Unit with Distinction. All but the last two require an interview, have a professional outfit and practice your interviewing skills.

Once you know you are living the life West Point is looking for and are securing a nomination, you are ready to apply. The earliest you can start a file is your junior year. The sooner you start, your chances are better.

application online (www.admissions.usma.edu), and will need to fill out a Candidate Questionnaire. USMA uses this questionnaire to screen all initial candidates. They will contact you to tell you if you made it past the screening or not.

If you pass the screening, you will get a Cadet Kit and scheduling information for your physical fitness test. The West Point physical aptitude exam is rather odd. You have to throw a basketball for distance from your knees, jump for distance, and several other exercises.Researcg the requirements/exercises and practice a few times before you go to your screening.

You will have to fill out a complete application with all of the commoninformation, including a essays. need to submit three essays from adults in your life, such as teachers, coaches, or your pastor. As you proceed along the application process and West Point sees no issues, they will schedule a medical exam/physical locally.

best bet to get into West Point is to model the life they mention in their brochures: valedictorian, captain of a varsity team, president of the debate club, volunteer of the year. need to secure a nomination, which less than half of all applicants manage to lock in. Pursue your nomination like a bloodhound!

West Point is the place for you and you have what it takes, go to their website your Junior or early in your Senior year and start your Candidate Questionnaire. West Point is an amazing institution, and you will graduate among the ranks of the elite academics. Another bonus: no tuition (besides a waiver-able entry payment) and a guaranteed job upon graduation.

Learn more about this author, C. M. Erickson.

Source(s): author, C. M. Erickson hopes this helps and good luck to you