Krystl B asked in PetsCats · 9 years ago

Are there over the counter medicines for pets?

I have a cat with FIV (Feline immunodeficiency Virus) so his immune system is pretty bad and he gets sick a lot so we have to separate him from the other cats. is there anything out there to boost him immunity or cure his little colds?

Favorite Answer

There are some limited OTC medicines for cats, but unfortunately not something that will help an upper respiratory infection. They're mostly limited to flea meds and worming meds, although it's much better to get even those from a vet.

Since your cat's immune system is compromised, you have to bring him to the vet promptly when he gets an upper respiratory infection (or "cold"). Unfortunately, these can lead to serious secondary bacterial infections like pneumonia or eye infection that can be very serious. That's why most vets will put them on antibiotics to prevent these dangerous secondary infections. One person on here lost a previously healthy cat in just three days. So when you start to see symptoms, you need to bring him in right away.

There IS something called interferon which helps modulate the immune system that can help some of these cats, but it's not very commonly used, so you would probably need to buy a whole vial and commit to treatment since it can be pricey. If he was my kitty, I would definitely ask to see if it was something I could afford, because it has helped a lot of cats.

Have you considered an online support group for the owners of cats with FIV? I'm willing to bet that you could learn a lot from other pet owners who are going through the same thing. A google search turned up these sites:

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/FivCats/

http://pets.groups.yahoo.com/group/fiv-healthscien...

I wish you and your cat the best of luck.

Yes there are. But for really serious problems you'll need a prescription.

Source(s): I have 2 cats.

yes