Supposed job offer from someone at Dot Squares? Phishing?

I received an e-mail saying that my resume was found on a site where I posted it a few weeks ago, and the message read that my resume was approved, and that someone wanted to interview me ONLINE, through instant messaging. The interview didn't involve any questions about my background, work history, nothing. The person didn't even refer to me by my name. He didn't ask for any financial information or social security numbers, only the information on my resume anyway (name, address, and phone number). I didn't receive any links to any sites. And he sent me the 'job details' for the position of "customer service," followed by an employment agreement letter which I had to sign, and was told I had to do paid training for two weeks first (all online through instant messaging), before being a regular employee, with benefits after three months. Being cynical about it all and unsure about whether this was legitimate (as most "internet jobs" are scams), I called the Dot Squares company (a real company whose name I suspected was being used by this person) to find out if they had any recruiters or any employees in "customer service" working online or working from home through the internet only.

The person I spoke with seemed agitated that I was asking questions about who the CEO was and whether they had recruiters, what their employees do, etc. He told me that they don't have any recruiters, but they do have employees in India and Texas who work online. And then said that over the past three or four days they have had some people call in and make the same complaint that they received an e-mail about a job offer. He said that it was a phishing scam.

From what I recall about phishing, it involves using a fake link or getting banking information. I hadn't been given or asked for any of that. Even though he told me it was a phishing scam, and I do believe it, what kind of phishing is this? What can someone do with a name (without middle name), address, and phone number?

Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no job.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "secretary/assistant/accountant" and will demand you cash a large fake check sent on a stolen UPS/FedEx billing account number and send most of the "money" via Western Union or moneygram back to the scammer posing as the "trainer" while you "keep" a small portion for your "pay". When your bank realizes the check is fake and it bounces, you get the real life job of paying back the bank for the bounced check fees and all the bank's money you sent to an overseas criminal.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

When you refuse to send him your cash he will send increasingly nasty and rude emails trying to convince you to go through with his scam. The scammer could also create another fake name and email address like "FBI@ gmail.com", "police_person @hotmail.com" or "investigator @yahoo.com" and send emails telling you the job is legit and you must cash the fake check and send your money to the scammer or you will face legal action. Just ignore, delete and block those email addresses. Although, reading a scammer's attempt at impersonating a law enforcement offical can be extremely funny.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

6 "Rules to follow" to avoid most fake jobs:

1) Job asks you to use your personal bank account and/or open a new one.

2) Job asks you to print/mail/cash a check or money order.

3) Job asks you to use Western Union or moneygram in any capacity.

4) Job asks you to accept packages and re-ship them on to anyone.

5) Job asks you to pay visas, travel fees via Western Union or moneygram.

6) Job asks you to sign up for a credit reporting or identity verification site.

Avoiding all jobs that mention any of the above listed 'red flags' and you will miss nearly all fake jobs. Only scammers ask you to do any of the above. No. Exceptions. Ever. For any reason.

If you google "fake check cashing job", "fraud Western Union scam", "money mule moneygram scam" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

The phishing starts later - they may end up sending you "tax" documents to fill out and a direct deposit slip so you can get paid but it's just a phishing scam to get your identity (full name, social security number, bank account number, etc)

And as part of the online "training" they will get you to log on to a remote access site where they will have access to ALL of your files, email messages, contacts, saved passwords, etc and copy them

Right now they can't do anything but they will be able to if you continue with this

There is no job - it's a complicated con to gain your trust and eventually get you to reveal your personal details