Is using 'il y en a' in French too informal?

Though it's fine for normal conversation, I'm unsure whether it's acceptable in essays etc. Not sure if it's perhaps a little informal..

Thanks!

Favorite Answer

Il y en a = there is some. or some.

-Y a-t-il des livres dans le placard?

(Is there some books in the closet?)

-Oui, il y en a.

you can eventually had a locative.

-Oui, il y en a, en haut a droite.

in that case, it is good.

But

"il y en a" can be used like this:

-Des gens se sont fait attaquer. Il en a qui ont peur.

(Some people have been attacked. some are afraid.)

that would be correct in a conversation, but maybe not nice in an essay. To be better:

-Des gens se sont fait attaquer. Certains ont peur.

(if you doubt, don't use it. One of my old french teacher of the last century used to say that "il y a" should be used if possible. It come directly from the Gallic.)

Source(s): french
  • Sheila

The first two beat me to the answers, but if your keyboard has a number pad you can do the accents. Make sure "NumLock" is on, then hold down the alt key, type these various numbers, then when you let go of alt the accented letter will appear: 128 Ç 130 é 131 â 133 à 135 ç 136 ê 137 ë 138 è 140 î 144 É 147 ô 150 û 160 á 161 í 162 ó 163 ú The other codes - up to 254 - produce different characters and symbols. Apparently whoever invented this unfortunately had no knowledge of alphabetical order.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Thanks!

Source(s): 39 il en 39 french informal: https://biturl.im/9lUkE

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/avrZF

You've got the hang of depuis and il y a, which is great. Jusqu'à means until. We are going to wait here until the train comes. Nous allons attendre ici jusqu’à l’arrivée du train. Pendant means during or while. We are going to live here during the summer. Nous allons habiter ici pendant l’été. He continued to look at his book while he spoke to me. Il continua à regarder son livre pendant qu’il me parlait. Dans means in. We have to leave in five minutes. Nous devons partir dans cinq minutes.

• Rodica

- Je me demande s’IL Y A des gâteaux pour tout le monde?

- Oui. Il y EN a.

That means:

Oui. Il y a des gâteaux (pour tout le monde)

Here, “en” replaces “des gâteaux”

Veux-tu une pomme?

Oui. J’en veux.

Here “en” replaces “une pomme”

You can use “EN” to not repeat what you said before.

"Il y en a" means like "There's one" . I think it is not so informal ... You could use in a formal conversation about me