What is the IRS named the Internal Revenue Service?

Whats amusing about the name "Internal Revenue Service" is the word "Service". A service is what you use if ..say ..you need a plumber to unclog your pipes. Well I don't Need the IRS to take my money, so I will not be useing that service.

Favorite Answer

Well, they had all that "IRS" stationery, so they had to come up with something to fit.

IRS was established by the republicans.

American Civil War (1861–65)

George S. Boutwell was the first Commissioner of Internal Revenue under President Abraham Lincoln.

In July 1862, during the Civil War, President Lincoln and Congress created the office of Commissioner of Internal Revenue and enacted an income tax to pay war expenses (see Revenue Act of 1862). The position of Commissioner exists today as the head of the Internal Revenue Service.

The Revenue Act of 1862 was passed as an emergency and temporary war-time tax. It copied a relatively new British system of income taxation, instead of trade and property taxation. The first income tax was passed in 1861:

* The initial rate was 3% on income over $800, which exempted most wage-earners.

* In 1862 the rate was 3% on income between $600 and $10,000, and 5% on income over $10,000.

* In 1864 the rate was 5% on income between $600 and $5,000; 7.5% on income $5,000–$10,000; and 10% on income $10,000 and above.

By the end of the war, 10% of Union households had paid some form of income tax, and the Union raised 21% of its war revenue through income taxes.[1]

Because Gustapo seemed a little harsh. Seriously though, the IRS does provide tax services.

Because "Molesters Enforcing the Insane Tax Laws Passed by the Thieves in Congress" doesn't fit well on business cards or bumper stickers.

In Great Britain, I think it is called Inland Revenue. The origin of the name is to distinguish it from the main source of federal revenue beforehand, which was import duties (customs).

they don't take your money (well, they might take a little since they're a government entity), the government has you pay for the roads you use, the schools system your kids use (if you don't have kids, then at least the kids in your neighborhood are using it and getting enough of an education to not become criminals, which would cause your local Police stations budget to rise), and many, many more.

Source(s): When asked if it bothered him if he paid taxes, a conservative once said "I do not mind paying my taxes, for it is with them that I buy civility."

The service is not meant for you, its a service to the government that is meant to prevent greedy people from trying to get away with not paying their taxes

Should stand for I Rape Savings

because band of thieves was taken