Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Consumer ElectronicsCamcorders · 10 years ago

What are some nice but cheap digital video cameras?

I like to make lots of videos and edit them on my Adobe software. But I only have a wimpy little camera that takes horrible videos (sound, no HD, terrible fps). So I am looking for a nice digital video camera that won't break my $200 budget. I would like it to a High def, with more than 30 frames per second, and that is around $200. Please give me some options and websites to search. Thankyou.

Favorite Answer

Hi Matt:

In case you (or others) have trouble understanding William B.'s semi-cryptic Answer, the "MOD" and "TOD" acronyms refer to the file-format that the various brands he listed record onto. MOD files are a Standard-Def format and TOD files are a Hi-Def format.

For specific models (and more info on MOD & TOD files, and tips on converting them), see the "Products" table in the Wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MOD_and_TOD_(video_fo...

If you want HD, skip the "MOD only" models — they're Standard Def.

Your $200 budget will severely limit finding a "nice" HD camera (especially regarding sound), but have fun shopping! Check the pawn shops and flea markets/garage sales for a decent used camcorder to stretch your dollars.

hope this helps,

--Dennis C.

Source(s): Experience with "tapeless" video file formats, and other camcorder tech stuff. Wikipedia fan & editor.

Digital Camcorders : Panasonic SV AV100, Canon MOD Camcorders, JVC (MOD and TOD) and Panasonic (MOD only)