Apple p asked in PetsDogs · 9 years ago

English Bulldog Scam?

Ok so I'm on a mission to find an english bulldog. I recently found a "family" selling their deceased mothers puppies. They have asked all kinds of questions about how well the pup would be taken care of once I got him, If I have children that will play with him, and all sorts of other stuff. They also wanted me to come get him but that's like an 8 hour drive so they said they would send him using their local pet carrier company and that the money would be for the fee of the transport. And I would be giving the money to the carrier company. Does this have scam written all over it?

Favorite Answer

100% scam.

There is no dog.

There are stolen pictures of someone else's dog.

There is only a scammer trying to steal your hard-earned money.

The next email will be from another of the scammer's fake names and free email addresses pretending to be the "pet shipping company" and will demand you pay for shipping fees, in cash, and only by Western Union or moneygram.

Western Union and moneygram do not verify anything on the form the sender fills out, not the name, not the street address, not the country, not even the gender of the receiver, it all means absolutely nothing. The clerk will not bother to check ID and will simply hand off your cash to whomever walks in the door with the MTCN# and question/answer. Neither company will tell the sender who picked up the cash, at what store location or even in what country your money walked out the door. Neither company has any kind of refund policy, money sent is money gone forever.

Now that you have responded to a scammer, you are on his 'potential sucker' list, he will try again to separate you from your cash. He will send you more emails from his other free email addresses using another of his fake names with all kinds of stories of great jobs, lottery winnings, millions in the bank and desperate, lonely, sexy singles. He will sell your email address to all his scamming buddies who will also send you dozens of fake emails all with the exact same goal, you sending them your cash via Western Union or moneygram.

You could post up the email address and the emails themselves that the scammer is using, it will help make your post more googlable for other suspicious potential victims to find when looking for information.

Do you know how to check the header of a received email? If not, you could google for information. Being able to read the header to determine the geographic location an email originated from will help you weed out the most obvious scams and scammers. Then delete and block that scammer. Don't bother to tell him that you know he is a scammer, it isn't worth your effort. He has one job in life, convincing victims to send him their hard-earned cash.

Whenever suspicious or just plain curious, google everything, website addresses, names used, companies mentioned, phone numbers given, all email addresses, even sentences from the emails as you might be unpleasantly surprised at what you find already posted online. You can also post/ask here and every scam-warner-anti-fraud-busting site you can find before taking a chance and losing money to a scammer.

If you google "Cameroon pet scam", "fake puppy sale scam Western Union" or something similar you will find hundreds of posts from victims and near-victims of this type of scam.

First, I would recommend looking into an English Bulldog shelter. Second, if your heart is really set on getting this specific puppy then I would STRONGLY recommend doing the drive even though its 8 hours. This way, you can see the puppy before you buy it to make sure that it doesn't look like anything is wrong with the little guy. Also, pet carrier company trips can be extremely traumatic for animals. Additionally, if the only money you're paying is for the transportation of the puppy then if you drive there you should be getting a pure bread for free. This alone sounds a little odd so I would really suggest a shelter specific to that breed or taking the drive down.

If you want to make sure than you will have to go get the puppy. Also if they are giving it away I would be a little worried because who knows what might be wrong with the puppy. I would ask for a picture with something specific in the picture like a specific color paper with your phone number written on it before I drive all that way though to make sure there really is a puppy. I would also ask about the quality of the dog and if they have the parents for you to see. I know a guy that bought a poorly bred english bull dog puppy from a pet store and it actually didn't have a hip joint. The pet store returned his money but they had to put the puppy down. You could also ask them to meet you half way. Do not send money unless through paypal because that has been a major scam.

Tell them YOU will arrange a pet carrier on your own. You do realize that a legitimate pet shipper is going to cost you $500-800 -- if they are telling you $150 you know it's a scam. Never let them arrange the shipping that asks you to pay - that's how EVERY pet scam works. There is no shipping company - you are sending money to a scammer who just set up a fake website

Also, EVERY legitimate shipping company accepts credit card payments through their website. EVERY scam "courier" wants you to pay through Western Union

Honestly, I would never ask anyone to ship a pet - you have no idea they are not just trying to get rid of a sick pup that should be put to sleep. If it's 8 hours, then go there. It's going to be cheaper to drive there than to pay $500+ to some legitimate shipping company

OR call a shipping company yourself and arrange the shipping - here is a list of legitimate pet shippers in the US. Call at least 3 of them to get quotes then YOU arrange the shipping

http://www.petsonthego.com/profpetmovers.html

If the seller won't allow you to arrange the shipping yourself you are dealing with a scammer

But I personally would NEVER consider shipping any dog under 6 months old - it's too stressful for them

Sounds fishy. Very suspicious . . . I would find another breeder.

ADD: I agree with many of these answers. I had a problem with a breeder that was 10 hours away because she didn't want to give me the puppy that I had picked out. So, I drove all the way there the next day, looked at all the puppies, picked out the BEST and told her that it was either that or my money back. This way, I was able to look at the health of the puppies and their personality before I decided.

• A65

I don't think it sounds like a scam - of course you'll have to pay for transport, and if you are paying to the transport company, then that's very upfront.

I didn't quite get who died. The pups mother or the family's mother? If it is the pup's mother, then (a) what did she die of, (b) sounds legitmate, but a bit back-yardish. OK if you are wanting a cheap bitser dog.

If it is the human mother who died, then it's odd that she has puppies. Was she a breeder? Is there a pedigree? Why are they giving them away free? What about the pup's parents? etc etc

If you want a pedigreed dog, then you should definitely check out the pup's parents and the breeder's home. If you want to risk getting a bitser, then get it sent on a carrier. Maybe get photos first.

8 hours away? I say go and collect the pup. There aren't any pet carriers in Nigeria.

It sounds like they are trying to get good homes... I would still drive 8 hours to get the dog.. this way you can at least eyeball the puppies health... you need to also check for vet records & get a certificate of health....

of course you would pay for the pet carrier transport... do you expect them to pay that money to get the dog to you???!!!???

• I say scam. No way would I send money up front.

Yes, it's a scam. Don't fall for it.