Can my home insurance raise their price for owning a bully breed if it's a service animal?

I am getting a pit bull as a service dog; she will be official. My question is this: in the state of Colorado, can the insurance company raise the price of our home insurance for having a 'bully breed', if she is a service dog? Or is that an infringement upon my rights as a disabled person?

Favorite Answer

Where are you getting the service dog from? Are you getting a program dog or owner training? If you are owner training, the dog will not be a service dog for 18 mo - 2 years (how long it takes to train a SD).

Yes, service dogs are exempt from BSL, but most local yocal law enforcement don't know that. Hell, most of them don't know service dog laws at all and that they have to be allowed in restaurants and stuff. So, you run into the very real problem of putting your dog at risk if you travel through an area with BSL. Ever go to Denver? They have a seize and destroy law for pitties.

Personally, I love pitties. But, would never have one as SD b/c its not safe for them. It also creates more problems for you. You will have more access challenges, people yelling at you, running screaming from you, etc...

On your question as of insurance companies...They can not treat you any differently b/c of your mitigation aide. So, I would find it difficult to believe that they could legally raise your rates b/c of your service dog, but I don't know how you would prove it, and you might have to fight it in court. In court, you have to prove that your dog is a properly trained SD. It you have a program dog, that's not hard. But, for an OT dog, that could be very difficult.

Brolis....You are correct, the ADA does not apply to ones home, BUT the FHA does apply to ones home and provides the same protections.

Source(s): I am disabled and have a service dog.

I don't, but could definitely see myself getting one. What attracts me to them? Well, anyone who knows anything about my dog knows I got her from a shelter, and there are too many of these sweethearts in shelters. It's quite possible that I'll get one, since there are so many. I look for the "right dog" when I'm looking in a shelter, and while breed is definitely a factor, so is the individual dog's temperament. If a bully breed is the right dog, then who am I to say no? The pit bull I've spent the most time with was a total sweetheart. My then-boyfriend's brother had found her on the side of the road, abandoned. She LOVED giving kisses - I thought she'd never stop! She also sat funny, so that her legs went back, somehow. I'd seen dogs lie down like this, but not sit. That and her completely sweet temperament are what I remember about her. She has crossed the bridge, but she is still loved by those who know her. RIP Cleo, love you tons!

Apparently, the other posters haven't actually read the laws...

A home owners insurance policy may not treat you (as a disabled person) any differently than they do a non-PWD (person with disability)

In addition.. a dog breed is a dog breed... if they raise for a specific dog breed, than this is based on risk assessment... you can provide proof that your dog is a SD & ask them if they would consider waiving the additional cost... but you can't demand it.... or you can choose an SD that is not in the breed restriction..... If it were me, I would get the dog that is right for me (even if a bully breed) and then I would write a letter with a summary of the dog's training along with any training references & submit that to the insurance company with a picture of you & the dog... in this letter.. I would state: " I am asking for a reasonable accommodation in the manner that you waive any additional insurance premiums typically charged for the ownership of a bully breed"

Similar to the states that do dog licensing... if the state requires dog licensing, then they require that SDs are licensed dogs....

For JP ---- sorry, but you are misinformed... there is no special gear, no need for special markers in public & it is a violation of the law for a business to expect a SD in anything like that... SD-Teams are not required to wear any special stuff... they are allowed to use standard leash & collar and/or even be off-leash if needed.

Another point to consider... some municipalities have out-lawed certain breeds... in those cases, a SD is exempted from the outlawing... however, it can be contested in court (by the municipality and even by a neighbor)... and if it goes to court... you better be prepared to PROVE the training that this SD has had.... in the form of documenting all the training, having references that can be contacted as proof of training, as well as being able to show that the dog actually does mitigate the disability

I know of a case... where a man had a pit-bull SD...in this case, much proof of training was available... was flying from his home state to another state with a layover... while on layover, the airport authority demanded seizure of his pit-bull on the basis of pit-bulls being illegal & the dog was euthanized, on site, even before the owner had an opportunity to get an attorney involved... it was determined that airport authority acted wrongly.... however, the man was then without his SD....

• JP

American Disabilities Act; you're good. To be on the safe side, when you're out in public, make sure your dog is in proper dress/ labeled. as a service dog. Also, helps to know the "bully breed" laws in your city.

No. Service animals don't qualify for that through national laws.