promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Who's who or Who's whom?

Who and whom

I understand the difference between them and when to use each, for the most part. The sentence/phrase that's confusing me is "Who's Who" versus "Who's Whom." Most people seem to say that "who is who" is correct because "is" serves as a linking verb. It's not that I don't agree, it's just that I was taught "who is whom" is correct but don't remember the explanation that was given. Can anyone on the "whom" side of the debate explain to me why whom would be correct?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 9 years ago
    Favorite Answer

whom is the objective form

who is the nominative

when you use a linking verb, it is followed by a predicate nominative: who.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • farone
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

Whom V Who

• Anonymous
    9 years ago

It's "Who's Who" - always.

This is fallout from prescriptivist grammar teaching again. Older grammar sources failed to distinguish between formal and informal registers, giving students the mistaken impression that only the formal register was correct.

"Who is whom" is correct in formal English.

"Who's who" is correct in informal English (and in fact it's the dominant form, made idiomatic by the name of the long-standing reference series of that name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Who ).

You won't see "Who's whom" because contractions are also part of the informal register, so you'll never see the (informal) contraction in the same context as the (formal) "whom".

Source(s): Native UK English speaker
  • 9 years ago

It's who's who.

You would use whom in situations when the answer would be 'him' or 'her' as opposed to 'he' or 'she'.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

Whom Or Who

• 6 years ago

Stuart Marshall, Kendal

You would never ask "Who is him/her?" or "Who am me?" and the television programme's title is "Who do you think you are?" not "Whom do you ....?".

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.