Who's who or Who's whom?

Who and whom

I understand the difference between them and when to use each, for the most part. The sentence/phrase that's confusing me is "Who's Who" versus "Who's Whom." Most people seem to say that "who is who" is correct because "is" serves as a linking verb. It's not that I don't agree, it's just that I was taught "who is whom" is correct but don't remember the explanation that was given. Can anyone on the "whom" side of the debate explain to me why whom would be correct?

Favorite Answer

whom is the objective form

who is the nominative

when you use a linking verb, it is followed by a predicate nominative: who.

• farone

Whom V Who

It's "Who's Who" - always.

This is fallout from prescriptivist grammar teaching again. Older grammar sources failed to distinguish between formal and informal registers, giving students the mistaken impression that only the formal register was correct.

"Who is whom" is correct in formal English.

"Who's who" is correct in informal English (and in fact it's the dominant form, made idiomatic by the name of the long-standing reference series of that name http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Who%27s_Who ).

You won't see "Who's whom" because contractions are also part of the informal register, so you'll never see the (informal) contraction in the same context as the (formal) "whom".

Source(s): Native UK English speaker

It's who's who.

You would use whom in situations when the answer would be 'him' or 'her' as opposed to 'he' or 'she'.

Whom Or Who

Stuart Marshall, Kendal

You would never ask "Who is him/her?" or "Who am me?" and the television programme's title is "Who do you think you are?" not "Whom do you ....?".