Can a police officer stop me for no reason?

Last week I was riding my motorcycle down clifton, there was a police officer sitting at the corner checking for stickers and any other faulty equipment. Me and my other two friends (also on bikes) road bye and he stopped us and ask for our licenses. My friend didn't have a class m license and he wrote him a ticket. I was wondering if he had a right to stop us and request for our id's. Even though we had no probably cause to be pulled over in the first place (ie; dead tags or inspections or lack of safety equipment) could we have refused to show him our id's and got away without him running all our info (even the ones who have class M licenses) for 30 minutes?

Please answer the question. The question is "could we have refused to show proof if he had no probable cause". Thanks for all your help.

Thanks for all your answers!

Favorite Answer

1.) The phrase is "probable cause."

2.) The burden of proof necessary for a stop is NOT probable cause, it is "reasonable suspicion," which is less.

3.) Just because the officer did not TELL you the reason he stopped you does not mean he did not have one.

Having said ALL of that, no, you can't get stopped for no reason at all in the united states. He has to have a reason to stop you (but he does not have to tell you what it is...)

Source(s): 10+ years Law Enforcement

1

Source(s): Criminal Record Search Database - http://SearchVerifyInfo.com/?HtRX

A police can stop you with or without a reason. Driving without a license is a No No. It could have been many of reasons he pulled you over. It just happen to be when you were driving with no license. You could have went to jail for driving with no license. An officer is not going to let you break the law. I have a few police friends who get on me all the time about things. Hell, my close male friend is a cop and he is tough on me. He wrote me a warning for something 2 weeks ago. I slapped his face and he put me in handcuffs until I calmed down. We didn't talk for about 3 days. He called me on the 5th day to see had I recovered from my crazy spell and I said, yeah yeah what eva! He comes over the next day and gets in my face and writes me another warning for back talking an officer.....

• Big Cheese5 years agoReport

The police will stop you without probable cause, and say they stopped you with probable cause so they can continue serving the greater good.

This is a bit of a legal grey area. Technically an officer may stop anyone they want to check for compliance with state motor vehicle operational requirements (in this case a class m liscense) but they do NOT have the right to detain you unnecessarily, such as taking 30 minutes to run your liscense through their computers. Unfortunately you still can't refuse to show I.D. as this gives them probable cause. Technically you can only take them to court if they give you a citation, so they have already established probable cause from your "suspicious activity". If you are determined refuse to show I.D. you better have a flawless driving record, no priors, and have committed absolutely NO infractions of state motor vehicle law. P.S. Since this officer was running a routine check you really have no grounds to claim he stopped you without cause.

What he did was illegal. It is like arresting someone for no reason and then finding out they're on crack and sending them to jail. He needed a reason to pull you over. If this ever happens again, remember that you have the right to know what you are being pulled over for. If there is no reason, then you have no legal obligation to show him your license. Unfortunately, this kind of stuff happens all the time. It is wrong and you should probably talk to the police department if you can remember the officer's name. They can suspend him for pulling you over without probable cause, like speeding, or a warrant.

• I would say 95% of people who have a problem with what the officer did (if they were not justified) have something to hide. Obviously, one of your friends did not have a license. But if you were all doing "legal things", then I am sure you would have NOT asked this question.

if the officer was checking everybody on that road, no exceptions, then you were just 5th in line..Refusing to comply with an officer's lawful order is a violation and either couldresult in taking you to jail (can't prove who you are to the officers satisfaction) or at least a citation for obstructing..

No he had no probable cause to pull you guys over and the fact you didn't ask why is idiotic, and your friends are dumb for showing him invalid drivers licenses and not even knowing why they were pulled over. Don't be dumb and know your rights.

A police officer can pull you over if they suspect you for anything.

Just be thankful you didn't get a ticket.

nope but remember cops can get away with anything unless theres prove but the cops are always right. dont even argue with them cuz they will give some BS ticket