"Christians" who deny the Trinity, what does John 1 mean?

John 1:1-3

The Word was there in the beginning, and He was with God, and He was God. So, at the beginning of time, the Word was with God. He created everything. Without Him, nothing that exists would have been created.

John 1:6-7

Now God sent a man named John who came to be a witness for the Light, so that everyone could believe in the Light because of John.

John 1:29

The very next day John saw Jesus coming towards him, and starting yelling, “This is the Lamb of God, who will remove all of the world’s sin!”

If the Word is God, and Jesus is the Word, then how is Jesus not God?

Update:

Atheists and others who do not claim Christianity, please do not answer. If I wanted to know your views, I would have asked.

Update 2:

@Jman: Exactly, thus the quotation marks.

Update 3:

@Lesha: I am confused. Do you believe that Jesus is God or not?

Update 4:

@skeptik: Wrong.

John 1:4-5

He had life in Him, and His life was the Light of men. The Light shines through the darkness, but the darkness doesn’t understand it.

Finally, John bore witness of the Light, and in this chapter the only person John specifically bore witness of was Jesus Himself (John 1:14-18).

10 Answers

Relevance
  • ?
    Lv 7
    10 years ago
    Favorite Answer

John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word { Jesus was there at the beginning,Creation;Gen.1:1} and the Word was with God { Jesus the son of God third person in the Trinity, was there in the beginning} and the Word was God,{ yes Jesus was God.} verse :2 " Jesus is confirmed to have been there in the beginning when God created the Heavens and the Earth. The Trinity cannot be denied if you are a follower of Christ, a Christian and you've studied Scripture.

Source(s): Sola Scriptura.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

"In the beginning was the Word" ... is the English rendering

of Greek text. "LOGOS" was translated as the English "Word".

LOGOS is the mind / plan / intent of God.... It's how He thinks!

In the beginning was the mind/plan/intent of God, and the

mind/plan/intent was with God, and the mind/plan/intent

was God. God made the world by Himself (Isaiah 44:10-11 and 24)

He planned to enter our world at a later time (Isaiah 35:4 / 45:15 and 23)

Jesus was still a future plan when God made a covenant with David:~

(2 Samuel 7:12-14 / Hebrews 1:5 / Psalm 2:7 / Galatians 4:4)

Trinitarians "put the cart before the horse". Try this example:~

Imagine someone talking about the life of a motor mechanic...

They tell you he was born in Detroit. It's okay to say that the

mechanic was born in Detroit - but he was NOT A MECHANIC

at the time. (Trinitarians would say he was born with spanners

in his hands and was fixing cars before he was born - nonsense)

Jesus didn't become the Word . . the Word (logos) became flesh

and then He was called Jesus because He came to save us.

Jesus made it clear that He was our Creator God in flesh.

(John 8:24 and 58 / John 10:30 / John 12:44-45 / John 14:7-10)

"God was in Christ reconciling the world to Himself.." (2 Corinth 5:19)

"Trinity" doctrine says Jesus is in the godhead... but the Bible says

the exact opposite :~ the godhead is in Jesus !

"In Him dwelled all the fullness of the godhead bodily" (Colossians 2:9)

[Note: "Godhead" is the SINGULAR old fashioned word for "godhood"

or "deity". It is not a plural or "compound" word & never has been]

• 10 years ago

He is. This scripture seems to suggest a duality, rather than a trinity though.

Col 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Jesus said in Rev 1:8 I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the ending, saith the Lord, which is, and which was, and which is to come, the Almighty.

I believe Jesus' words over those of anyone else.

In spiritual terms, I think it is possible for two to also be one or, three "being" one. In the natural world, it is not possible, however.

• 10 years ago

I can tell you their answer: they have their own special translation (the New World Translation) which changes that section specifically, so that it says the Word was 'a god' instead of 'God'. They'll often parrot the justification the Watchtower gives for this, but they fairly uniformly have no actual knowledge of Koine Greek beyond this parroting: it really isn't a justified change, and doesn't fit with the records we have of what early Christians (the ones who wrote, chose, preserved, transcribed and translated the Gospels) believed this passage to mean.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    10 years ago

Jesus is Lord..

according to:

philippians 2:5-11

5Let this mind be in you, which was also in Christ Jesus:

6Who, being in the form of God, thought it not robbery to be equal with God:

7But made himself of no reputation, and took upon him the form of a servant, and was made in the likeness of men:

8And being found in fashion as a man, he humbled himself, and became obedient unto death, even the death of the cross.

9Wherefore God also hath highly exalted him, and given him a name which is above every name:

10That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth;

11And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.

Source(s): kjv bible
  • 10 years ago

So, where does any of that say "Jesus is the Word?"

I see the Word, the Light and the Lamb mentioned. Only the Lamb is identified in those verses as Jesus.

• 10 years ago

john 14 is a trinity scripture

• 10 years ago

Can you even be a Christian without believing in the trinity? Otherwise it would be Polythiesm.

• Anonymous
    10 years ago

A Christian cannot deny the Trinity.

• Ryan
    Lv 4
    10 years ago

You actually believe in this? Yet you say evolution is bullshit...

LOL

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.