(Long Read) Looking back today, will Edge vs Undertaker @ WM 24 ever get the recognition it deserved?

With Edge retiring this week, I re-watched to his top 5 Wrestlemania matches and watched this match again for the first time in months. My opinion stands still, Edge vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 24 is undeniably the most underrated match in the history of Wrestlemania. Undertaker vs Edge is THE best Wrestle Mania 'WRESTLING' match since Angle vs Michaels. Edge reminded everybody that he's one of the best in the business & not just a transitional champion. He was actually more dominant over The Undertaker than anybody else has ever been at a Wrestlemania (minus HHH @ WM 27). Edge reversed almost every Undertaker move and what made the match even more interesting was the less predictable finish which saw The Dead Man win via submission instead of The Tombstone that EVERYBODY was expecting him to win by. Wrestling quality wise, this match is on another planet compared to Shawn Michaels vs Ric Flair which doesn't hold any meaning by now cause Flair wrestled again in TNA. I mean, why is a retirement match praised when the party that should be retired went back against his words?

Undertaker's match with Orton was memorable, indeed. But to those who aren't blinded by hype could tell Undertaker vs Edge is comparable to any technical wrestling matches in masterpiece level. It surpassed my expectations and was extremely intense. This was a great main event that truly culminated the whole night just into one match. Edge tried to have everyone help him keep his title, but Undertaker in an unreal state takes them all on. You can feel the intensity, the rivalry and the hype behind this match. Lots of nearfalls and counters made this match just plain enjoyable and pure entertainment.

The first half of the match featured many counters and reversals, including Edge reversing Old School, the Chokeslam, and the Last Ride. The match picked up the pace big time later on. Undertaker hits the Chokeslam and Last Ride, but fails to get the pin on both. Undertaker later attempted a big boot but hit the referee instead, this gave Edge the opportunity to nail Undertaker with a video camera. Undertaker gave Edge a Tombstone Piledriver afterwards, but the ref was still out so as Undertaker pinned Edge, a new ref had to sprint down the entrance ramp to make the count. Unfortunately, this gave Edge enough time to kick out. Edge later hits a spear, but Undertaker suddenly locks Edge in The Hell's Gate like he did to HHH @ WM 27 immediately after. After hanging in for a while, Edge submits and The Undertaker wins the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania for the second straight year. An amazing match, a Wrestlemania classic without an ounce of doubt.

It kinda tickles me how Adam Copeland himself admitted he was literally trembling in the locker room before the match cause he didn't know whether he had it in him to face The Undertaker of all people in his (and only) Wrestlemania main event.We knew many people like Gonzales, Bundy, Boss Man, A-Train, and Henry blew their one and only chance to immortality against Undertaker at WM and Edge said he didn't want to fail. He was shocked he proved himself wrong. After the match, Edge said Taker approached him and told him, he never had THAT much chemistry ever since facing Shawn Michaels & Bret Hart in the 1990's. And considering the whole Taker/Batista saga just got legendary praise a year earlier, u know how magnificent it is to be praised by The Phenom himself at Wrestlemania, nonetheless, where Taker is known to be very vocal of letting others know his disappointment when his Wrestlemania opponent did horribly (like he did to Boss Man & A-Train, for example).

In an interview in 2010, Adam Copeland reminisced how he felt that his match with Taker @ WM 24 may very well be his finest work as singles competitor, and even Dave Meltzer agreed with him. Meltzer rated the match ****1/4 stars, the highest rated match on Wrestlemania 24 in a feud that later became 2008 WWE Feud of The Year. And among his memorable singles work against Matt Hardy, John Cena, Mick Foley, and Undertaker, this match is Edge's highest rated match in his singles career, mind u.

Dunno bout u guys, but I still feel Edge/Taker was the 2008 Match of The Year. And was miles better than Flair/HBK. Forever and always.

Until now, I can't help but thinking PWI decision to chose Flair/HBK @ WM 24 as MOTY 2008 and 2000-2009 Match of The Decade (despite the fact Flair wrestled in TNA after his supposed retirement) had something to do with PWI famously known as total Flair & HBK marks. Then again, they also voted John Cena as WWE's Greatest Legend of All Time with Stone Cold being the runner up, so we know how credible PWI are instead of, say, WWE who picked HBK in their top 50 & the WWE Universe who voted Undertaker in RAW's 15th anniversary polling.

What do u think?

• Favorite Answer

To answer your question directly, no, it probably won't get the recognition it deserves.

There are few (unfair) strikes against that match that prevent it from being remembered at the same level as The Undertaker's Wrestlemania classics against Shawn Michaels and Triple H. First of all, there was the Ric Flair/Shawn match. It's impact has been diminished now, but back then that was THE emotional match of the year, without question. It's difficult to reverse the collective opinion of that match today, because regardless of what happened with Flair in the years to come, when that match occurred, it was exactly what a Wrestlemania match should be. It's remembered because of the emotion, the build-up, our sympathy for both Flair AND Shawn, that unbelievable ending and the fact that an aging Flair delivered a career performance at a time when he shouldn't have been physically capable of doing the things he did. That's why that match is recalled so fondly. So the fact that Flair/Shawn happened at the same Wrestlemania as Undertaker/Edge didn't help.

But there's another reason why Undertaker/Edge gets overshadowed as well (and again it can be traced to Shawn Michaels), and that's what happened at The Streak match the NEXT year. The Undertaker and Shawn completely blew us all away at Wrestlemania 25. Two full years later, and we still have that match as the gold standard of wrestling excellence. That was the match that vaulted The Undertaker's streak into the stratosphere and how it became the institution that it is today. Because of that, I think that Edge's Wrestlemania time with The Undertaker gets forgotten a little.

But you're right, The Undertaker and Edge put on a classic that night. In 2008, that was THE feud in the WWE, and that was a perfect chapter to add to it. Wrestling-wise, there's no doubt that it was the best match at Wrestlemania 24. Despite the praise given to Shawn and Triple H for helping to make the streak what it is today, I think that Batista and Edge deserve a lot of that attention as well. On an otherwise average Wrestlemania card, Edge and The Undertaker put on one hell of a show, and a truly worthy Wrestlemania main event.

Hopefully now that Edge has retired, we'll see a little more attention devoted to his classic matches, because he's had some truly special ones, and his battle against The Undertaker at Wrestlemania 24 is right at the top of the list.

Hopefully, this match is a true classic. Also a great, great ending which saw The Undertaker becoming a 6 time World Heavyweight Champion, tying Hulk Hogan, Stone Cold, and Kurt Angle in WWE.

probably not, it was an amazing match that got overshadowed by hbks match the next year, and the year before where batista and the undertaker stole the show, and because batista was such a huge star.

Source(s): Re4wii2008 on Yotube
  • I think PWI gave HBK and Flair match of the year based on all the emotion surrounding it. Flair of course one of the greatest of all-time, and Michaels carried Flair to a decent match. I will agree with you IMO Taker and Edge did put on the better match that night. But nobody thought "old" Flair and HBK was gonna have as good of a match as they did, and thats why they got the match of the year.

@ Paul Gasol: By the way, it's Pau Gasol, not Paul

I think it will be overshadowed because of the recent challenges he has faced with Triple H and Shawn Michaels. It may get the recognition it deserves now that Edge has retired and they play it more on WWE on Demand (don't know if they are, but I'm sure it will be).

• Wiggy

I completely agree. Their match going into WM had great build up. I like how they played the whole "streak vs streak" and I know I've expressed my feelings about how I thought HHH had ended the streak, well, when Edge hit the spear for the second time on Undertaker, I thought for a quick moment "holy sh*t Edge is gonna win". Then Taker locked in hells gate and we all know what happened.

Their match at WM is probably my favorite match ever at WM. Edge really held his own, and like you've said a thousand times, if you put a quality opponent in front of Taker, he'll put on a classic. Who knew that this match would lead to one of the greatest rivalries in past years. The thing I liked about them is that they didn't just have a good match at WM, but they had GREAT matches at TLC and HIAC.

I love the promo to the WM match as well

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aaLo1OvInhU

Youtube thumbnail

&feature=related

If you could find those videos of Edge admitting he was nervous and what not can you please post em?

No