(Long Read) Looking back today, will Edge vs Undertaker @ WM 24 ever get the recognition it deserved?

With Edge retiring this week, I re-watched to his top 5 Wrestlemania matches and watched this match again for the first time in months. My opinion stands still, Edge vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 24 is undeniably the most underrated match in the history of Wrestlemania. Undertaker vs Edge is THE best Wrestle Mania... show more With Edge retiring this week, I re-watched to his top 5 Wrestlemania matches and watched this match again for the first time in months. My opinion stands still, Edge vs Undertaker at Wrestlemania 24 is undeniably the most underrated match in the history of Wrestlemania. Undertaker vs Edge is THE best Wrestle Mania 'WRESTLING' match since Angle vs Michaels. Edge reminded everybody that he's one of the best in the business & not just a transitional champion. He was actually more dominant over The Undertaker than anybody else has ever been at a Wrestlemania (minus HHH @ WM 27). Edge reversed almost every Undertaker move and what made the match even more interesting was the less predictable finish which saw The Dead Man win via submission instead of The Tombstone that EVERYBODY was expecting him to win by. Wrestling quality wise, this match is on another planet compared to Shawn Michaels vs Ric Flair which doesn't hold any meaning by now cause Flair wrestled again in TNA. I mean, why is a retirement match praised when the party that should be retired went back against his words?

Undertaker's match with Orton was memorable, indeed. But to those who aren't blinded by hype could tell Undertaker vs Edge is comparable to any technical wrestling matches in masterpiece level. It surpassed my expectations and was extremely intense. This was a great main event that truly culminated the whole night just into one match. Edge tried to have everyone help him keep his title, but Undertaker in an unreal state takes them all on. You can feel the intensity, the rivalry and the hype behind this match. Lots of nearfalls and counters made this match just plain enjoyable and pure entertainment.

The first half of the match featured many counters and reversals, including Edge reversing Old School, the Chokeslam, and the Last Ride. The match picked up the pace big time later on. Undertaker hits the Chokeslam and Last Ride, but fails to get the pin on both. Undertaker later attempted a big boot but hit the referee instead, this gave Edge the opportunity to nail Undertaker with a video camera. Undertaker gave Edge a Tombstone Piledriver afterwards, but the ref was still out so as Undertaker pinned Edge, a new ref had to sprint down the entrance ramp to make the count. Unfortunately, this gave Edge enough time to kick out. Edge later hits a spear, but Undertaker suddenly locks Edge in The Hell's Gate like he did to HHH @ WM 27 immediately after. After hanging in for a while, Edge submits and The Undertaker wins the World Heavyweight Championship at WrestleMania for the second straight year. An amazing match, a Wrestlemania classic without an ounce of doubt.

It kinda tickles me how Adam Copeland himself admitted he was literally trembling in the locker room before the match cause he didn't know whether he had it in him to face The Undertaker of all people in his (and only) Wrestlemania main event.We knew many people like Gonzales, Bundy, Boss Man, A-Train, and Henry blew their one and only chance to immortality against Undertaker at WM and Edge said he didn't want to fail. He was shocked he proved himself wrong. After the match, Edge said Taker approached him and told him, he never had THAT much chemistry ever since facing Shawn Michaels & Bret Hart in the 1990's. And considering the whole Taker/Batista saga just got legendary praise a year earlier, u know how magnificent it is to be praised by The Phenom himself at Wrestlemania, nonetheless, where Taker is known to be very vocal of letting others know his disappointment when his Wrestlemania opponent did horribly (like he did to Boss Man & A-Train, for example).

In an interview in 2010, Adam Copeland reminisced how he felt that his match with Taker @ WM 24 may very well be his finest work as singles competitor, and even Dave Meltzer agreed with him. Meltzer rated the match ****1/4 stars, the highest rated match on Wrestlemania 24 in a feud that later became 2008 WWE Feud of The Year. And among his memorable singles work against Matt Hardy, John Cena, Mick Foley, and Undertaker, this match is Edge's highest rated match in his singles career, mind u.

Dunno bout u guys, but I still feel Edge/Taker was the 2008 Match of The Year. And was miles better than Flair/HBK. Forever and always.

Until now, I can't help but thinking PWI decision to chose Flair/HBK @ WM 24 as MOTY 2008 and 2000-2009 Match of The Decade (despite the fact Flair wrestled in TNA after his supposed retirement) had something to do with PWI famously known as total Flair & HBK marks. Then again, they also voted John Cena as WWE's Greatest Legend of All Time with Stone Cold being the runner up, so we know how credible PWI are instead of, say, WWE who picked HBK in their top 50 & the WWE Universe who voted Undertaker in RAW's 15th anniversary polling.

What do u think?
7 answers 7