Treatment of Italians in Australia?

I'm wondering, how are Italians generally treated in Australia, and how have they been treated in the past?

It's my understanding Italians, and Mediterraneans in general, are victims of prejudice in Australia. I read that until the 60's, on immigration records, Italians were listed as Coloured, Semi-White, or Olive. Is this true? I also read that thousands of Italians were interned during WWII, even though some were born in Australia to Italian parents.

I also saw that there were, and still are, anti-Italian riots in parts of Australia. I find this hard to believe, is it true?

So my question is, how are Italians and those of Italian descent generally viewed in Australia? Are they treated just like any other European ethnic group, or are they treated with prejudice?

Thanks!!

What? How am I confused??

I don't really know much about the way Australians are viewed by Europeans, other than SOME think they're all thieves.

I'm talking about the treatment of Italian IMMIGRANTS to Australia.

Favorite Answer

lol, Australia is chock full of Italians and they are such a normal part of Australian culture that we don't even think about it. I have never heard of an anti-Italian riot, or even anti-Italian feeling. Most have been here for generations.

Remember in WWII that Italy was an enemy nation. Italians in Australia were mostly given a great deal of liberty, and most chose to stay on when the war ended because their life was so much better here. My father remembers Italian POW's living on his parent's farm when he was a boy, and they were not restricted, they could come and go as they wished. He remembers watching them make their own pasta and the way the used lots of garlic which wasn't usual in Australia at the time.

Italians may well have been listed as olive in the 60's because that's how people thought about it in those days.

I've always read it's the other way around: Europeans aren't nice at all towards Australians.

Maybe you are confused?