Tyler asked in PetsReptiles · 9 years ago

could i use a 65 watt flood light with a normal small 40 watt desk lamp for my small red eared slider turtles?

i have a small desk kinda lamp and a few 65 watt flood light bulbs and 2 small red eared slider turtle hatch lings and i also have a heating rock that they can climb on but could the light produce enough heat for the turtles? please help me out here

• Ryan
    Favorite Answer

don't exceed the max wattage for any lamp.

Use thermometers to check the temperature of both the basking area and the water. Then use whatever works best for your setup.

You have to have lites that produse UVB and UVA for the turtles. Your 65 watt flood light is worthless to the well being of a turtle. Go to the pet store and ask the person working there for a UVB/UVA lamp and then when he shows you the most expensive one buy the cheaper.

You want the basking site at 90°F. Try a 40W bulb in the lamp and move it close to the basking site. You know that you also need a UVB light too, don't you?

• Cody

I wouldn't exceed the max wattage of the lamp. Buy a legit heat lamp.

your turtles are going to bake take the heating rock out and get a lower wattage bulb.

I use a low output warming light for my turtles. Normal lights, even floodlights don't provide the warmth for these cold blooded creatures.

normandfloyd.blogspot.com

A "flood light?" What are you trying to do, bake them?