Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesGenealogy · 9 years ago

How to make a family tree/ trace family history & genealogy?

I would like to trace my family way back. I want to be able do do it in the easiest way possible, so I have some (specific) questions. You do not have to answer all of them (of course).

1- What are the best sites to use (most reliable, gives you the most information, etc.)? I do not want to have to pay for the site. I am, however, okay with signing up with the site for free trials, which is why I have all these questions- I want to make the most of the trial.

2- What is the easiest way to trace back your family?

3- I've heard the Mormons have detailed records from way-back-when (as in when people still had slaves) about family history. How would I get that information? Do the records tend to favor one race more than the other (part of my family may have been Cherokee, would they have information on that?)?

4-Is there any information I should get before researching?

5-How do I get a hold of birth certificates? It is my understanding that the city keeps these records, but that they are accessible to the public.

6- Some Native Americans had Christian names along with there Native American name. The tribal records of registered Native Americans contain there Native American name. If the record I find have their Christian name, how would I find their birth name?

7- I would like to know the races of each person in my family (as of now, I have a very vague knowledge of what my heritage is and I'd like to know). Is there any way to know what there heritage was? Does it come in the information on the websites that are used for tracing family history? Do I have to look into some records? Is it impossible to know?

So, that's all the questions I have as of now. If there are some other key things I should know, pretty please include it.

P.S.- The best answer will go to whoever gives me the most and/or most helpful information.

THANKYOU!!! :)

• Maxi
    Best Answer

1 You don't start with the internet you start at home and with you and your living relations and the records they already have...so don't waste you time and money

2 There is no easy way, your either want YOUR ancestors in your tree or you want trees that you can copy and paste and they are collections of unrelated names and use such websites which I am sure you will be signposted to such as familysearch, which is IGI and not cited ( so do not go back to real records) so you can't trust the information

3.Familysearch...IGI see 2..a great resource if you use it wisely as a clue and know the difference between cited resources and collection/personal cited numbers which the bulk of what you are looking at is IGI...learn more about records and get all your foundation work done before you use and trust any information online from anywhere.

4 Yes see 1 and this will help you do that for free http://familytimeline.webs.com/

5. If you want copies of birth certs, then you need to know where that person was born, date, name etc and they can be bought from the local registrar or National office BUT there are lots of other records you can get for free which will cross reference such as baptism records ( local church records) national census ( records office and online) birth indexes (records office and online) ...see 4 for advice on bmd records page

6.Hopefully you will get some of the good posters on this site who will advise you about NA ancestry...some links on the website give for NA records and on the documents page a helpsheet on how to target find information on the internet ( it is about looking for ancestry, but could be used to look for NA 'how to' research and there is lots of help online for that

7 Census returns will help in telling you some information and as you learn how to research and what records to look for your knowledge about what is available and where to look will expand.

There is no quick and easy route to find YOUR ancestry...just be aware that if you start building your tree online the information belongs to the website to sell, use and attract other other people, and you could lose your information once the free trial ends or you stop paying your fees...so download freeware FH software to your computer so it remains YOUR property and you have ALL control over it.....don't trust 'one' record you need to find the whole paper trail...people did lie eg about their age..so if you see and believe your great gran was 42yrs old on the 1930 census and trust that and not check every census and bmd record...you will miss the fact that on the 1920 she could have said 37 yrs old...when you find her baptism it could be 1885 with a birth record saying 1882..which gives you all different dates...so you need to understand what are good primary records , which are records written at the time of the event or very near the event and not secondary records and transcribed records, which includes internet databases...so a birth/baptism will give you a better record of reality than a marriage record ( as the person could lie about their age...same as census...and a death record, someone else who thinks they know their age has registered it...and with internet transcriptions human errors can occur and each time it is transcribed more can occur.

Never copy and paste trees online...they are in the majority collections from the IGI of unrelated names with no cited record numbers you can check up on

Don't believe familysearch IGI they are donated/collected same as family trees online..great clues but that is all

Use the interent as a tool only it is not your complete tool box

Prove each person with at least 3 records ( really good advice I was given when I started...boring but turns out very worthwhile)

..........and you don't have to pay or join commercial websites, use second class information to achieve YOUR family tree...I have a cited tree of 600 years of MY family and I have never paid commercial fees, subscriptions etc or relied upon the IGI ( used as a clue about where to look for real records)

Register on the free message boards, look up services, forums....and when someone helps you ( as they will) if they don't give you the record number they got the information from then ask them for it, so you can judge if it is good or bad......many of these people ( like me) have lots of records, certificates, have transcribed local records themselves and will often send you a copy of that record if you ask and certainly the record number...but there are also some who offer 'help' who just search the IGI.....so sources are very import..................good luck with your research, it is a lifetime hobby if you really want YOUR tree ans not a collection of unrelated names....so you have a big job on your hands, but I would love to be starting again now as I have had and am still having great fun finding out about my ancestry

1. Ancestry.com will have most of that, though it may be a pay site, and I'm not sure if you're willing.

Familysearch.org is free (this would be the Mormon site) and usually has the more extensive records. You may, however, need both sites if your family history is spotty.

2. Easiest way is to just ask relatives. They'd know.

3. Mormons have records for as far back as we can go (so before slaves in some cases). The only time race comes into it is if a particular culture did not keep records and so made it difficult for later generations to trace their roots back. I don't know if the Cherokees fall into that category, though I suspect they do.

4. Just ask relatives and get as much from them as you can. Even a first name will narrow your search.

5. No idea. Some are in city records, but I don't know how easily you'll be able to access em.

6. Can't help you. Could you try contacting a representative of the Cherokees?

7. Most geneological records do not contain that information. You'll have to ask your own relatives.

No. 1 Sit down and write down you & your spouse and children, list all you know about each person.

No. 2 Ask your mother & father for their complete details, then your siblings.

No. 3 Check your library to see if they have ancestry.com and heritage quest, most libraries do. If you do not have a library card get one. Don't pay for ancestry.com, go to your library, they paid a big fee, so use it. Then get the website of the library and with your library card you can access heritage quest from home. You have to be in the library to access ancestry.com.

No.4 Check to if library has a genealogy dept & see what they offer.

No.5 Go to www.genealogy-research-tools.com, read home page, then go to Family First. There is a Vital Records button.

No. 6 After doing research away from the computer then try rootsweb and cyndis list.

There are so many out there it is very confusing.

Source(s): 31 years of genealogy experience, using websites.

And what about biological siblings (from one or both same bio parents)? How come they can't be part of the picture. It is certainly more accurate that the adoptive family's information. No, it isn't fair but my experience with it with our eldest when he had to do it was they just don't consider it. It's not excluded on purpose...it's ignorance. He filled in the info as per our family but I put a note in there that this was not the biological lineage. Truth is, HE wanted it to be our family on the project so I tried to balance that at the time. I don't want to undermine his definition of mom and dad etc... We speak about his first family regularly and whenever that becomes a highlight, we go with it. Like when he tells people he has three moms and three dads. Bio, foster, adoptive. It was his project. We did it his way, again, with the caveat to the teacher.

Ancestry.com is filled with false information that gets copied from one person's tree to another because that's how it's programmed to be so easy. It's easy alright, easy to get bad information.

The Mormon site Familysearch is extensive but because the mass of information was accumulated by people who just wanted to get documents listed, it is filled with incorrectly transcribed names and places that are just a mess to deal with.

If you are researching anything to do with the Cherokee, start at the Cherokee Registry.

reverse phone number search compiles hundreds of millions of phone book records to help locate the owner's name, location, time zone, email and other public information.

Use a reverse phone lookup to:

Get the identity of an unknown caller.

Identify an area code.

Recall the name of a person whose number you wrote down.

Identify an unfamiliar phone number that shows up on your bill.

https://tr.im/721a7

• Joseph

https://familysearch.org/ is a completely free genealogical website that has one of the largest databases of names in the world, and it is growing every day.

If you would like to get some free help in person then you can go to one of the many Family History Centers that are around the world. They are completely free and open to the public. Additionally Each Family History Center, has a subscription to all of the major genealogical websites, so from there you can access places like ancestry.com for free.

On Familysearch.org they have a tutorial course that will walk you through the steps of starting your family history.

https://familysearch.org/learn/getting_started

FamilySearch.org also has more advanced courses, one of which does go into how to find information on Cherokee Indians.

Link to video talking about Cherokee Indian genealogy

http://broadcast.lds.org/elearning/fhd/Community/M...

Link to all of the advanced research courses.

https://familysearch.org/learn/researchcourses

It is a very basic piece of software and there are many more that are better but here is a link to a free piece of family history software. You will need to complete a basic registration to be able to download it.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp?page=h...

Here is a link to a page that tells you about many of the different family history softwares that are out there. Many of them have free trials to them.

http://www.familysearch.org/eng/affiliates/index.h...

If you are wanting to find other genealogy websites that are available then a great place to start your search is Cindy's list. They collect links to every genealogy website they can, and place it into one convenient area for you to search. Here is a link to their main website.

http://www.cyndislist.com/

I went a head and took the liberty of doing a search for what they had on Cherokee Indians here is a link to the search results.

http://www.cyndislist.com/google-results.htm?cx=pa...

Additionally here is the information that they have presorted by ethnicity. They have grouped all Native Americans into the same general category. It looks like they have around 127 links there that deal with Cherokee Indians. And from the index at the top of the page I would say that some of those links deal with things like birth certificates.

If you need any more help please feel free to email me. I personally do not know much about family history, but I do volunteer my time to help get more records prepared to be added to FamilySearch.org, and I also know several people who do know a lot about genealogy and family history.

familysearch.org

That is where you'll find the Mormon detailed records from way-back-when. It's an excellent database after you learn the ropes.

Source(s): Personal experience

Hm

mmmm not sure familyshrch should be a good one

for all those just use ancestry.com