Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentPolitics · 1 decade ago

If Obama's mom is a US citizen...?

She was born in Kansas. So why does it matter if Barry was born in Hawaii, Kenya, Indonesia or Mars? Isn't he a US citizen no matter what? I would hate to think if my wife dropped a kid while I'm on vacation that his citizenship would be an issue. Please un-fuzzy this immigration issue for me.

Update:

Please quote US Code or legal precedent to settle this issue once and for all. My head is swimming...

Update 2:

After reading a few of the answers, "Liberalism has a delusional bias" pointed me in the right direction.

1) According to Wikipedia, his mom didn't really leave the US for Indonesia until the age of about 25, having spent her time studying in different colleges in Hawaii and Washington.

2)US Code § 1401 (g) provides that "a person born outside the geographical limits of the United States and its outlying possessions of parents one of whom is an alien, and the other a citizen of the United States who, prior to the birth of such person, was physically present in the United States or its outlying possessions for a period or periods totaling not less than five years, at least two of which were after attaining the age of fourteen years"

It looks like an airtight citizenship as his mom was in the US for more than 2 years past the age of 14 (she was 18 when Barry was born.

11 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

True, he's a US citizen by birth since his mother was a US citizen. It makes no difference where he was born. McCain was born outside the USA (and military bases overseas are NOT "US soil.")

5 of my kids were born overseas while I was in the Navy. They're all US citizens by birth.

*******There is no precedent on this issue. Democrats briefly considered challenging McCain's eligibility but dropped the idea.

Kids born overseas to a US citizen parent, like 5 of mine were, are citizens at birth.....

Consular Report of Birth Abroad (FS-240)

The birth of a child abroad to U.S. citizen parent(s) should be reported as soon as possible so that a Consular Report of Birth Abroad can be issued as an official record of the child’s claim to U.S. citizenship. Report the birth of your child abroad at the nearest U.S. embassy or consulate.

A Consular Report of Birth can only be created at an American consular office overseas while the child is under age 18

An original Consular Report of Birth is given to the parent(s) at the time the report of birth is made and approved.

You may replace, amend or request multiple copies of a Consular Report of Birth at any time.

This is what you receive..... http://travelogue.travelvice.com/postfiles/2008-03...

REQUIREMENTS FOR TRANSMISSION OF US CITIZENSHIP AT BIRTH

For your child to benefit from US citizenship at the time of birth, US nationality law requires that certain conditions must be met. The conditions have been modified by legislation over time, but none of the modifications were made retroactive, hence the variations defined here. Below are the circumstances governing most instances.

http://manila.usembassy.gov/service/citizenship/de...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Lol, owned all the annoying retards that keep claiming he's not a citizen.

EDIT: For the guys above me: According to the Constitution of the United States only natural born citizens are eligible to serve as President of the United States or as Vice President. The text of the Constitution does not define what is meant by natural born: in particular it does not specify whether there is any distinction to be made between persons whose citizenship is based on jus sanguinis (parentage) and those whose citizenship is based on jus soli (birthplace)

As a result, controversies have erupted over the eligibility of a number of candidates for the office. These questions arise particularly when a candidate is an American citizen by jus sanguinis birthright, but was born outside of the territory of the United States

• 1 decade ago

No, not at all. If an american gives birth in africa, the baby is an african citizen. Just because your mother is an american doesnt automatically make you american. Its all determined by where you`re born. If what you say is true illegal mexicans having babies here would be mexican, but if they are born here in the us they are american babies, not mexican

Look up the definition of a Natural Born Citizen

• 1 decade ago

the US Constitution sets a born here requirement it is a wonderful document may I suggest you may take some time and read it, also his mom was not of age when she gave birth so if he was born in Kenya he does not them automatically receive US citizenship

Source(s): IMPEACH 0BAMA NOW! Paul Grass, PhD Verminology May God bless you ,the USA and may God keep us safe from the progressive axis of evil;0bama,Pelosi & Reid.
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

http://www.usconstitution.net/consttop_citi.html

# Any one born outside the United States, both of whose parents are citizens of the U.S., as long as one parent has lived in the U.S......OBAMA'S FATHER WAS NOT.

# Any one born outside the United States, if one parent is a citizen and lived in the U.S. for at least one year and the other parent is a U.S. national.....OBAMA'S FATHER WAS NOT.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

To be President you need to be a natural born US citizen, in other words born here.

Just being a citizen does not cut it.

• 1 decade ago

Birthers are willfully ignorant - don't bother. Facts to birthers are wasted.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

No, I've been over this. Natural-born citizen is the requirement to be president. You must be born inside this country to be considered natural born. You have to be physically on U.S. soil to be a natural citizen.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

The laws were different in 1961 check it out...

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

obama will be found to be illegitimate and all bills he had signed will be rescinded

he still has not to this day shown or let anyone see his birth cert.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.